Sign in to follow this  
sportsroof69

3" tailpipes

Has anyone been successful at installing 3" tailpipes on their classic Mustang? I know they make prefabbed kits for fox bodies, but it seems like going over the axle would be difficult in my car. Has anyone done it?

I have a full 3" exhaust, and I want to add 3" from the mufflers, all the way out to tailpipes.

I did full three inch on mine with an x-pipe from the collectors all the way to the back. It's tight but it can be done. The biggest problem is the drivers side with the brake junction block and the gas tank is offset to the drivers side of the car. I insulated that side of the gas tank with some self adhesive asbestos heat shield just to be safe. The 3" with Hooker Maxflows sounds fantastic.

well I had 3" at one time but they were turn downs, and lemme tell you that thing was loud.. had to return to the 2.5 lol

I have full 3" with turndowns now.

I did full three inch on mine with an x-pipe from the collectors all the way to the back. It's tight but it can be done. The biggest problem is the drivers side with the brake junction block and the gas tank is offset to the drivers side of the car. I insulated that side of the gas tank with some self adhesive asbestos heat shield just to be safe. The 3" with Hooker Maxflows sounds fantastic.

I may see if I can find a shop to do it. I'd really like some tail pipes on it, even if it cost me a tenth or two at the track.

I have been looking at the 15819 Magnaflow 3" kit. Summit has it for $767.84 with free shipping. It is 3" stainless all the way from the crossmember back. I am just about to pull the trigger on it.

Does anybody have any input on these?

Tim

I have the 3" Magnaflow set waiting to go on. With my car still on the rotisserie, I did some preliminary fitting and find the tail pipes to be nearly a foot short of reaching the rear valance. The angles on the passenger side pipe are a bit off and will make a good fit very difficult. I'll likely be sectioning mine and re-welding plus adding length to reach the cut outs. As mentioned previously the drivers side is very tight. Not for the average guy expecting to get it done in one afternoon.

Check out Buckeye's thread for more insight into installing 3" exhaust, though his was totally custom fabbed by pros it is very informative.http://www.1969stang.com/mustang/forum/showthread.php?t=7560&page=76

Allan

I don't like what you are telling me. My kit came in Friday, hoping to start putting it on today.

I will let you know how it goes.

Tim

Let us know how it goes, I am sure there's a lot of guys who would appreciate the benefit of another's actual experience on this install. Don't let my opinion discourage you, you may see another way around things with everything in place.

Allan

I bought my set a few years ago when the price was about $500. Mine only came with one set of tailpipes with turn downs at the end.

Seems strange to me why they would include two sets of tailpipes. Are you sure you're not confusing the inlet pipes that go ahead of the X-pipe for extra tailpipes?

This is the way the way my system lays out. http://www.magnaflow.com/07techtips/pdfs/15819.pdf

Allan

I noticed mine came with 2 pair of tailpipes. One pair turns down in front of the valance and one set looks like it will exit through the valance. Did yours have both sets?

I didn't get to install mine yet. Maybe tomorrow.

Tim

perhaps you could sell the extra set of pipes that turn down at the valance to the op, so he has something to start with.

I want to run mine up behind the valance and turn them down, so that they aren't visible.

I haven't had a chance to drive it to the muffler shop yet, and have them look at it, because of the holidays, and the weather. The shop I use is in another town about 70 miles away. So it may be a week or two before I get it up there.

My set has the over axle pipes seperate from the tailpipes.

There are definitely 2 pair of tailpipes. My instruction sheet is different from yours, and it does show the 2 different tailpipes.

Tim

I see, one set of pipes over the axle and two optional sets of extensions like in the 2.5" set. Must have changed that recently.

More like this one...

http://www.magnaflow.com/07techtips/pdfs/15816.pdf