Sign in to follow this  
Endeavour32

Heater Box controls are stiff

Assuming the cable is dirty or rusty you could try one of the many dry film lubricants. Slide the cable a bit apply lube to both ends & slide the cable some more, repeat until moving free.

The flap that directs where the air is blown in my heater box is really stiff. Is there a way to make it work easier with out ripping it out and rebuilding it?

If you have determined it is the door in the heater box & not the cable I have used a rust buster on the pivot shaft of the heater box door with good results in the past to free them up.

Mike.

I had the box out of the car when I did it but I think if you remove the r/s dash panel & the glove box liner you can probably gain the needed access to do it in the car without having to remove the heater box.

Mike.

I ended up pulling the box out again and I sprayed everything with PB Blaster. Still stiff! Its better than it was but it's still to stiff to use the controls. I ended up adjusting it so it will blow both defrost and on the floor. When I'm trying to adjust this its obviously cold. Does anyone think that maybe it will loosen up when its hot? I'm confused over this as the rubber is still soft!

You probably have the same problem I have -- the hole in the fiberglass where the pivot goes through has become elongated and so the door wedges against the case when it tries to move. The best you can do is to clean it up inside and out and lube all the moving parts, unless you can disassemble it and put a bushing in the case.