Sign in to follow this  
Machspeed

Advice on New Fuel Tank

Thought I might take advantage of some of these black Friday sales. I need a new fuel tank for my 69 Mach ( I do desire to keep the 20 gal tank) and was looking at the following:

http://www.cjponyparts.com/fuel-tank-stainless-steel-with-drain-plug/p/FT25-V/

CJ Pony just does not put much in the descriptive. Wonder if someone can advise? Might this be some Chinese cheap garbage or should I look elsewhere?

I bought a stainless tank from this guy on E-bay. I dont know how he sells them so much cheaper than anyone else. Im very happy with it thou. It fits, works, and looks great. I would run all stainless fuel lines, tank, and sending unit if you can. Todays fuels are really low quality... http://www.ebay.com/itm/1969-FORD-MUSTANG-STAINLESS-STEEL-GAS-TANK-NEW-/230557051538?pt=Vintage_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item35ae456a92

I just noticed there were 2 cobras in this thrread lol. No problem, just letting people know I was happy with mine. I try not to buy chinese product (quality issues) but when I bought it, I did not know it was one. That all being said I am very happy with the tank. And I bet most are made in china now or cost way too much.

Those of you whom purchased this tank from either Ebay or CJ, does the metal gauge close to the original? I don't want to purchase something that is paper thin.

Thanks!!!

Machspeed I really dont know the thickness of the metal but its not flimsy junk. Its identical to my factory tank imo. I dont think you will be disapointed. Im really satisfied with mine. There stainless sending unit works but isnt spot on as far as the reading on the quage but no reproductions are. I think you can bend the sending unit arm or adjust a small screw on the back of the fuel guage to tweak it. The tank is a great reproduction part. Its actually one reproduction part that didnt get slung across the garage because of fitment issues. lol

Machspeed I really dont know the thickness of the metal but its not flimsy junk. Its identical to my factory tank imo. I dont think you will be disapointed. Im really satisfied with mine. There stainless sending unit works but isnt spot on as far as the reading on the quage but no reproductions are. I think you can bend the sending unit arm or adjust a small screw on the back of the fuel guage to tweak it. The tank is a great reproduction part. Its actually one reproduction part that didnt get slung across the garage because of fitment issues. lol

Hey cobra460, thanks for your input. Based off that and others here, I went with the tank from CJ Pony, which I am certain is the same tank offered on Ebay. I purchased the tank kit, which comes with the tank, of course, a sending unit, hoses and screws and such. Total cost $228.28 and this includes the shipping.

Here's the link: http://www.cjponyparts.com/fuel-tank-kit-standard-with-stainless-steel-fuel-tank-with-drain-plug-1969/p/FTK12/

I'll post thoughts when it comes in.

Thanks fellas!!!

Just a note on this topic, I purchased the stainless fuel tank from CJ Pony as noted in the discussion above. I received it yesterday and, visually, I'm very impressed with it. I'll know more when it goes in. One of my concerns was that with it being stainless, the manufacture would take the cheap route and give us some really thin gauge metal........ not the case. Nice product.