Sign in to follow this  
jeepcj7304

Engine decision

So my 15k mile motor that came with my project appears to have 115k and only 2 oil changes ever now that I have dug into it so its gone. I have a friend if a friend who is getting rid of two fresh 351 windsor motors. One is an 80's block with a crane cam the other is a roller windsor block with I believe an e303 cam. He is willing to let either one go for 1700. He will bolt on a holley street performer intake and either an edelbrock 700 carb or a 670 street avenger. For an even 2000. First which motor would you go with? And would you use that intake and carb fire that price?

Both are brand new rebuilds not used that is what I meant by fresh, sorry. Both are bored .30 over and have had the heads completely gone through, completely new bearings, seals, push rods, and everything. They are also complete Carb to pan including dizzy.

Roller cams are great low friction free horsepower and tons of great cam profiles out their to match any need ,able to handle all kinds of horsepower many parts out their thanks to the 5.0 ho and its roller parts.My 408 makes around 540 hp and 510 ftlbs torque with it's roller cam and roller rockers should live along time. It makes it peak horsepower at 6000 don't have to wind the daylights out of it.I'd vote for roller motor but i may be biased.The intake should be fine depends on what you are doing, for the street the Edelbrock Rpm is a good one also.670 avenger is my vote just personal opinion.

Pay attention to counterbalance, oil pan type, and fuel pump type. If the crank was balanced to 50oz like many late models, you'll need the same 50oz flywheel (couldn't use original flywheel from your car). Late models typically have rear sump oil pans, which don't work too well in our cars. Also many late models had in-tank fuel pumps and the timing covers don't have mechanical fuel pump provisions (nor do they have the fuel pump eccentric on the timing chain sprocket). Things to keep in mind that could add cost or complicate things. Also verify the harmonic dampner and the pulleys you plan on using. 1969 motors used a 3 bolt crank pulley and 70-later used 4 bolt.

I have all the crank pulleys and flywheel off my old motor to reuse. Plus the guy who has these the motors build them for classic mustangs all the time so im sure it will be right appreciate the info though. I am a Jeep guy and Jeep didnt do all this crazy stuff they used the same bellhousing for every engine from 4cyl to big block.

If the crank was balanced to 50oz like many late models, you'll need the same 50oz flywheel (couldn't use original flywheel from your car).

This isn't a problem with the Windsor, they are all 28 Oz offset.

Also verify the harmonic dampner and the pulleys you plan on using. 1969 motors used a 3 bolt crank pulley and 70-later used 4 bolt.

On the 5.0 liters, when they went to the serpentine set up, the offset on the balancer increased, and probably did on the Windsor also. If you take the roller block you will need to make sure the balancer they installed is for V belts or serpentine. Short nose for v-belts, long nose for serpentine. There is only about a 1/4" difference, so ask the shop.

I finally made a decision. it is a 94 roller block is completely rebuilt with new crank bearings and. Correct timing chain cover. matched with a set of Gt 40 heads with Ford Motorsports roller rockers. I went with the Holly intake based on its price. it will be topped off with a edelbrock 700 carb. it will have 82 points new distributor new fuel pump and fuel lines. basicall I need to put my pulleys alternato r and high profile valve covers and I'm good.