Sign in to follow this  
jbaeza94

393w/408w Cam?

So i am getting a 393/408 stroker kit for my windsor block, but have been wondering what i should do in terms of a camshaft. Any suggestions? I am doing possibly a 750 carb. Feel free to suggest anything else!!!! I need all the help and expirience i can get!!!

Personally, I'm a fan of the afr 205 heads, but I've heard good things about the tfs and supposedly the edelbrock packages claim 400hp with their top end kit.

My heads were beginning to umbrella my valves so I just got a set of refurb ones with a port and polish, not sure how the performance changed, but she hasn't been running consistently for me to get her dialed in all the way.

My engine is cammed up, but I did this so many years ago, I have no idea what the lift and duration is. I assume that is what the 393/408 is? I think I either have a Crower, or Isky cam. I sure wish I would of written all this down, but when you are in your early 20's you just didn't care.

My engine is cammed up, but I did this so many years ago, I have no idea what the lift and duration is. I assume that is what the 393/408 is? I think I either have a Crower, or Isky cam. I sure wish I would of written all this down, but when you are in your early 20's you just didn't care.

393 and 408 are common cubic inches for the 351 based strokers. not lift/duration.

I just did a test run last weekend on my new setup. 408/AFR205's, link bar lifters, FTI roller cam, custom convertor and new 750dp carb. I am very pleased with the performance. Be ready to spend some $ if you go with top of the line heads. You could do like I did 5 years ago and build a good bottom end and pick up some decent alum heads then upgrade in the future. A stroker with stock heads would be too constrictive to make good power. Make sure the rest of your drivetrain is ready for it also.

It does better when I don't let it walk out of the groove...lol

That was a 10.72 pass, and it's been 10.48 now. Now that it's cooled off, I expect more from it when I go next Friday. I believe the 60' in that pass was a 1.50. It went a 1.43 on the 10.48 pass, so I need an updated video :)

Keep in mind that before the plethora of reasonably priced aluminum heads were available, people would port the factory, iron heads with great results.

Thus, even when buying a stroked Windsor short block, I think it would be a good idea to talk with some local machinists about getting the heads ported. It may be so expensive it's just better to buy some aftermarket heads. But you never know, the shop might need the work and cut you a deal.

And many an old-timer Ford racer has told me you can get great power from a set of ported 351W heads. I recall one analogy comparing stock heads with ported heads; "It's like Jekyl and Hyde".