Sign in to follow this  
Flanders

chop it, drop it, and oh stick a GT40 engine in it.

I was not sure if I was going to like it or not. I was very skeptical when the build pics were posted, but I will admit, I am on teh side of liking it right now. From the ugly posts link on this website, there are certainly more cars out there in much worse condition and shape than this one.

Interesting concept for sure.

agreed -- it turned out pretty well, in my opinion. Keeps the big characteristics of the '69 fastback, but the proportions don't look right when all we do is stare at real '69 fastbacks all day :) If you put this in a room with no other '69's in it, I'd say most people at SEMA would say "wow that looks just like a '69!"

Thumbs down on the rims too.

With the top chopped it gives that fat bottom heavy side profile of all the modern muscle redesigns (mustang, challenger, camaro) that I can't stand. I do like it from the front and back though.

Those wheels are hideous!

It looks kinda odd with the engine cover up but overall I like it. For good or bad, the wheels look like a ford (instead of Eckert's) attempt at updating the oem styled wheels instead of a decent custom wheel. I thing even the modern mach 1 wheel would look better.

Edited by RacerX

I think the problem with the wheels is that they are simply too big. Scaling everything up made the dog dish center way too big to look proportional to the rest of the car. I'm guessing the fronts are 19 and the rears are 20". If they had only blown them up to 17s it would probably look much better.

As someone else mentioned, I'd bet they did get the whole car for much less than a Dyancorn shell, but given how much fabrication they were planning to do, they only needed to purchase individual panels, not a complete chassis. They could have saved time not cutting and instead just start by putting modified pieces together.

It's not a terrible looking car, it just doesn't look enough like a '69 to destroy a real one.