Sign in to follow this  
1969mustang302

Specific T-5 Swap questions

I am getting ready to swap my C4 to a T-5 and I just had some pretty specific questions that I was looking for some help on.

1) When I changed my front brakes over to power disc the stuff I ordered asked if the car was a manual or automatic transmission (of course it was an automatic at the time). Now my question is, what is the difference? If I swap to a manual is that going to take me steps backward with my brakes?

2) Does the whole in the floor where the auto shifter comes through need to be modified or changed in any way to accommodate the T-5?

3) Does the drive shaft need to be changed?

Sorry if all of this has been covered before, I have a 302 motor if that matters at all.

Thanks guys

I am getting ready to swap my C4 to a T-5 and I just had some pretty specific questions that I was looking for some help on.

1) When I changed my front brakes over to power disc the stuff I ordered asked if the car was a manual or automatic transmission (of course it was an automatic at the time). Now my question is, what is the difference? If I swap to a manual is that going to take me steps backward with my brakes?

2) Does the whole in the floor where the auto shifter comes through need to be modified or changed in any way to accommodate the T-5?

3) Does the drive shaft need to be changed?

Sorry if all of this has been covered before, I have a 302 motor if that matters at all.

Thanks guys

2)IIRC you do not have to modify the shifter hole in the trans tunnel for the T-5,

3) I have heard some guys saying when they swapped to a T-5 they did not have to shorten the drive shaft.

Only difference in manual brake pedal & automatic is the size of the pedal .. your automatic pedal may be really close to the clutch pedal if you don't swap it out. You could just cut off the extra metal and put a new cover on it.

I shortened my drive shaft 1", I used a T5 out of a 93 Mustang

Edited by 70mstang
I shortened my drive shaft 1", I used a T5 out of a 93 Mustang

thanks for all the info. another question, did any of you use the existing brake pedal bracket to mount the clutch pedal? As we all know the clutch pedal assemblies are staggeringly expensive so I was looking and Modern Driveline has a clutch pedal that is made to adapt to the existing brake pedal bracket and its much cheaper. Just curious if anyone has used this and how complicated it was to install.