Sign in to follow this  
Nabendroth

Lower Dash Restoration

Just finished a restoration on an A/C lower dash. Everything was taken apart, bezels where polised, knobs were painted and polished. Glove box was taken apart and all parts were cleaned. Just wanting a reaction and thoughts/comments to see how good it came out from an outside perspective. Thanks

What product did you use for the charcoal metallic paint? I have bought several cans of the Accumatch product to use on my restoration.

It was a SEM 39144 product. The same thing in a can is SEM 39143. Found it to be the best match and best durability overall.

Spiffy. Very spiffy!

May I ask what kind of prep you did before paint? Did you have to blast off old paint, rust or anything?

The only blasting I did was to a couple heavy rust spots on the inside of the dash. I basically scuffed it down prepped a couple rust areasscuff string as much rust sanded of and then sprayed with rust sealer and then primed and painted it. it was actually a long process but well worth the outcome.

Thanks,

Nick

There's a Genuine auto parts here and I got it from there. If you want the spray cans I'd go with summit per can its the cheapest I've seen.

Thanks foir the info Nick.

How much metallic can you actually see in the SEM product? I just did a spray sample of the Accumatch and while it looks like a very good match, I cant see any of the metallic I have heard others speak of that is apparent on original lower dash, glovebox lid, etc.

How much metallic can you actually see in the SEM product? I just did a spray sample of the Accumatch and while it looks like a very good match, I cant see any of the metallic I have heard others speak of that is apparent on original lower dash, glovebox lid, etc.

By saying metallic your meaning how much gloss there is? Really there isn't much gloss to the paint I used. It's not a flat color so it does have alittle shine to it. I hope that helps :001_cool:

No. I actually meant metallic as in the type of paint finish. Maybe someone will chime in here but it's been discussed that the original dash and interior paint actually was a very subtle metallic charcoal finish.

http://www.1969stang.com/mustang/forum/showthread.php?t=10874&highlight=%22charcoal+metallic%22

Just emailed a concours nut friend of mine. Stay tuned for that answer. I thought it was a more of a flat black then a metallic. He should email me back in a couple of minutes.