Sign in to follow this  
TheMenace

Rearview mirror upgrade

I had a new windshield installed from a local glass shop and now the Scott drake rearview mirror I bought doesn't fit onto the mount that came with the glass. Out of laziness plus going with my restomod theme I rather buy a new mirror that fits that mount than take the new one off and install the correct mount.

Anyone know a mirror that looks close to the original 69 but has a built in map light? Maybe even a built in compass would be cool too but nessassary.

I found a few good ones off eBay I will look into one of them maybe. I just don't want to buy a new one and have it not fit the mounting tab that's there but if I am going to replace the tab it will be worth it for the map lights

The fox body and SN95 (99-04) mustang convertible rearview is one I've seen installed on our cars. In fact I think someone on here has done it too going off memory.

+1. This is what I am going with. The dual map lights are nice. I think they may actually mount right on the oem tab so in your case IIRC, this may not help you. I would call Scott Drake lol

The fox body and SN95 (99-04) mustang convertible rearview is one I've seen installed on our cars. In fact I think someone on here has done it too going off memory.

I did it on my 1970. Wiring was easy. Ran one to cig lighter the other to underdash map light. Fit right on factory tab. Bought on ebay. Bought another and plan on doing on 66 vert project car.

The 94-98 Convertibles also had map lights. I picked one up (plus a good snippet of the wiring harness, because the plug in the back of the mirror is a PITA to match). I have the mirror itself mounted and it looks nice. It has more view area than the original mirror. I have not done the wiring yet.

Chuck

Is the auto dimming like those found on Lexus and other luxury cars? I had an 95 Lexus SC400 and the day/night on the mirror was electronic. Its hard to describe but picture a mirror-like LCD glass that would go darker at the touch of a button. Was very slick anhd wasnt the old school versions that would simply tilt the mirror up slightly to keep headlights out of your eyes.

Edited by miketyler

Mike, I might have one, if you are interested. I took one off a junkyard Lincoln and decided I did not want it. I still might have it. It has the map lights and I think it also has the dome light thing because it has 3 wires to it. No compass or thermo though. I will look tonight and see if I still have it.