Sign in to follow this  
Mike65

Next step after completeing metal work & paint?

After I am done with the r/s rear quarter skin & outer wheel house I have the l/s front floor, toe board, torque box & the front l/s & r/s inner fender panels & that should be it on the sheet metal work. Next up would be paint. I am hoping to have the metal work done by the end of the year. Once the car comes back from the painter what should be done next? I was thinking re-wire the car, re-build the engine. Any ideas or suggestions welcome.

Mike.

I would do what is with in my budget for the next step. Are you going to put a stockish suspension under the car? Are you going to put some 13" brakes on it? Are you reusing the stock harness? While the body is out of your shop area, that will free up some space to work on a number of things. Rebuild the motor, suspension, electrical, then interior, or a combination of all of them.

I would do what is with in my budget for the next step. Are you going to put a stockish suspension under the car? Are you going to put some 13" brakes on it? Are you reusing the stock harness? While the body is out of your shop area, that will free up some space to work on a number of things. Rebuild the motor, suspension, electrical, then interior, or a combination of all of them.

I am going to use the AAW 69 Mustang harness kit as my old harness's were trash, I am going to use stock type front disc brakes, & I am still undecided on whether to use a coil over front suspension with rack & pinion steering or stock style suspension with a stock steering box. I was also looking at an IFS from jim meyer racing, or a steeroids kit from speed direct.

Mike.

My car just got painted. Just about to finish suspension, going to test fit motor and transmission to finalize stance.

Have an American Auto Wire chassis wiring harness I will be installing along with Electric Power Steering.

Will Fat Mat the crap outta the car; floor, roof, doors, trunk, quarters, etc...

Brakes already done for now.

Fuel system.

Wheels/Tires.

Finalize Turbo kit... ;)

One thing I notice on forums is that everyone thinks you HAVE to paint the car before you can install the suspension, or even the drive train. It is so easy to nick up the fresh paint while you are working on the car. I personally am going to get the car to move under its own power before i paint. Just because i have seen what happens...It all depends on your budget and goals though.

Along the same lines as Junior mentions, if you're installing all stock replacement stuff, then painting first isn't such a big deal as everything should just bolt on and you just need to take your time and be careful.

However, if you're going to install aftermarket anything, I'd recommend you do the installation before paint and remove if you feel you have to. There's almost always something that has to get modified when installing aftermarket performance stuff so it's best to get those things done before painting. Then it's just a matter of bolting everything back together like stock stuff.

I'm almost finished with body work myself, and i have a completely gutted car with quite a bit of new sheet metal (simiar to you, Mike). Unless you're looking to cut out shock towers or do other major structural changes to implement your suspension, then it's a toss up, as to which order to do things.

My rough plan is to finish the body work, finish the undercarriage, then get the car running on its own power (drivetrain, brakes, wiring, exhaust). After that, I'll finish up some details (headliner, windows), then paint. Lastly, I'll finalize the interior.

I'm almost finished with body work myself, and i have a completely gutted car with quite a bit of new sheet metal (simiar to you, Mike). Unless you're looking to cut out shock towers or do other major structural changes to implement your suspension, then it's a toss up, as to which order to do things.

My rough plan is to finish the body work, finish the undercarriage, then get the car running on its own power (drivetrain, brakes, wiring, exhaust). After that, I'll finish up some details (headliner, windows), then paint. Lastly, I'll finalize the interior.

that sounds very similar to the direction i am going.

Its all in what you are able to afford and complete.