Sign in to follow this  
edwards54

Running Rough and looking for suggestions

My Mustang is having some issues with running rough to the point where it stalls even when warm. It acts like it isnt recieving enough gas or spark. So far I have done a few things and had a shop do a few things to trouble shoot the problem. The fuel filters have been changed, coil was changed out, distributor was replaced, points checked, choke checked......

If the car is put into nuetral it runs smoother........

Any suggestions on where to go from here?

I had the same problem as you describe and checked all the things you did. It was so annoying I was ready get new wires, msd box, etc. All I ended up doing was bringing up the idle speed about 150 rpm (in park) then adjusted the idle mixture and the problem was gone. Smooth idle in drive and no more stalling while warming up.

Have you checked for vacuum leaks? Two areas some people tend to forget are the vacuum advance (if you have one) and the transmission vacuum modulator (if you have an older automatic). Both those parts have rubber diaphrams in them that get old, dry out and start to leak. And it's cheap and easy to replace them.

Your carb might also just require a rebuild. Definitely try adjusting your air/fuel mixture, as suggested above. It can't hurt.