Sign in to follow this  
Flanders

side cowl install (69 fastback)

My side scoop's are leaking water to the interior. Is there supposed to be some kind of gasket/sealant around them and the body? Or do I just tighten them up more? :)

Edited by Flanders
side scoop (not cowl)

Are you talking about the side kick panel vents? Mine in my 69 Coupe was leaking due to the metal flange where the vent screws to was rotted & water was getting in & rotted the l/s front floor. Make sure you check the body in that area.

Are you talking about the side kick panel vents? Mine in my 69 Coupe was leaking due to the metal flange where the vent screws to was rotted & water was getting in & rotted the l/s front floor. Make sure you check the body in that area.

Most likely the reason - remove the plastic kick panel and take a look. I had to fab a piece for mine at the time was no aftermarket. Not sure if now or not

THey do make a gasket- nice and thick cork I believe. Got mine at npd- maybe 10 bucks for both. If you don't have one it will leak. Mine was there but the factory never installed the lower screw-it was obvious as there was no "mark" on the plastic where all the other screws were. It is also why I needed to patch the front floor board.

ok, just to make sure we're talking about the same thing, I'm referring to the rear fender air scoops. What's the proper term for these? :D Is there a gasket for these?

Edited by Flanders

I have removed and installed these from several different 1969 Fastback and 1969 Mach1 cars and have never seen a gasket. I didn't install any type of gasket on mine, but I don't drive mine enough to have to soap it up and wash it. If NPD has one I may also get them for my 1969 Mach1. If you can't find a gasket I would try 3M caulking strips. It won't damage the paint and with these you can easily clean off what seeps out when crushed.

The vent hole where the plastic piece attaches is a few inches above the floor pan. I don't think you should be getting water up that high. So, I doubt it's leaking through the vent hole.

My '70 Mach 1 had some rust below that vent hole on both sides. I could see you easily having a similiar situation and getting water through the rusted area.

I would also recommend pulling off the plastic pieces and checking both sides for rust.

The vent hole where the plastic piece attaches is a few inches above the floor pan. I don't think you should be getting water up that high. So, I doubt it's leaking through the vent hole.

My '70 Mach 1 had some rust below that vent hole on both sides. I could see you easily having a similiar situation and getting water through the rusted area.

I would also recommend pulling off the plastic pieces and checking both sides for rust.

I think we're talking about different things. The '70 fastbacks don't have the side air scoops.

ok. found a picture :)

poster,375x360,ffffff.jpg

I'm not sure if mine's leaking from the 'outside' edge, or from the black insert in the middle. It's at a garage at the moment so I can't test with a spray bottle. There's no gasket of any kind in there now, so I was curious if there's supposed to be.

It doesn't matter if those scoops leak. There are drainage holes inside the qtr to let water out through the rockers. They're there mainly for water that gets past the qtr glass seals. As long as you have the moisture shields installed behind the interior panels on the body structure you shouldn't have any problem with water making it to the interior.

Sorry folks for the misunderstanding. I need to get my terminology correct!

It doesn't matter if those scoops leak. There are drainage holes inside the qtr to let water out through the rockers. They're there mainly for water that gets past the qtr glass seals. As long as you have the moisture shields installed behind the interior panels on the body structure you shouldn't have any problem with water making it to the interior.

My car is at the garage at the moment (front end work and safety inspection before I can get it plated) so I'm not sure what drainage holes and moisture shields you're referring to. Do you have a pic?

When you take off your door panels you should see something like butcher paper, brown on one side black on the other, attached to the doors with butyl sealer. The same is behind the interior quarter trim panels.

http://www.championmustang.com/door-panel-components-door-watershield-c-145_319_507.html

Most modern cars use a thick flexible clear or white plastic film.

Edited by RacerX

When you take off your door panels you should see something like butcher paper, brown on one side black on the other, attached to the doors with butyl sealer. The same is behind the interior quarter trim panels.

http://www.championmustang.com/door-panel-components-door-watershield-c-145_319_507.html

Most modern cars use a thick flexible clear or white plastic film.

Edited by RacerX