Restomod69

My Restomod69 - With a difference

Wow - a very ambitious project! The dash and door panels will definitley present some obstacles.Those seats look great. Do you plan to dye them a different color? I have a 72 Cuda and one of the guys on another website took front and rear seats from a BMW 645 convertible and retrofit them in his Cuda. He kept all the electronics so they are all ajustable including multi driver memory.

Edited by miketyler

Wow - a very ambitious project! The dash and door panels will definitley present some obstacles.Those seats look great. Do you plan to dye them a different color? I have a 72 Cuda and one of the guys on another website took front and rear seats from a BMW 645 convertible and retrofit them in his Cuda. He kept all the electronics so they are all ajustable including multi driver memory.

Thanks Mike, the seats will stay as is. Theres a couple of small marks that need fixing, but otherwise I'll leave it. I'm having the instrument binnacle and console remade and I've decided to redo all of the woods in Piano Black. The interior will all be black and tan. The seats will hopefully function as they did in the bentley, heatong etc, but I doubt the position memory will work as I think thats tied back to the individual keys, cheers

You sure dived in head first, well done! I bet that Bentley interior was not cheap.

Do you mind me asking what state you are in? I'm curious to how you will go with and what your plans are in regards to registration? I don't know how'd you go here in NSW with that set-up. Perhaps maybe if you started out with an engineer on board who was happy to sign it off. They've made it hard now to have anything modified here in NSW, not like it once was.

You sure dived in head first, well done! I bet that Bentley interior was not cheap.

Do you mind me asking what state you are in? I'm curious to how you will go with and what your plans are in regards to registration? I don't know how'd you go here in NSW with that set-up. Perhaps maybe if you started out with an engineer on board who was happy to sign it off. They've made it hard now to have anything modified here in NSW, not like it once was.

Hi Ash, nice job on your build so far, you must be very proud. Slow process, but I'm sure building it up like this from pan to top will ultimately be very rewarding for you. Its quite heartbreaking watching your thread unfold and what you find. I've been in exactly the same place you are now 25 years ago with an XB GT (and it wasnt even that old a car back then). I carried through like you are now and I still look for my old GT in the hope of maybe buying it back. You become very attached

Anyway, correct, the interior was far from cheap, nor was the freight/duties etc. But its here now and I'm happy with it (so long as it works out). I'm in Perth and from what I understand the laws here are a bit better than the Eastern states, but I dont know that factually. There does seem to be a lot of cars getting around here that I wonder how they pass? Yes we have an engineer being involved with the build but he's not involved yet. Everything will be signed off and full street legal. I nearly made a big mistake and ordered the full Morrison Chassis from the states. Thankfully I just got told the other day if I had brought it I wouldnt be able to run an old style motor as it would be classed as a new chassis and fall into a different catagory that would basically restrict me to current engines etc!

Good luck with your build, I'm looking forward to seeing how you go with the sandblaster and your paint job. I think I'm going diamond or soda blasting with mine, but I'm too far away from that to worry about it yet. I do know its cost is around $3500 which includes primer

All the best

Cheers

Thanks for the kind words, appreciate it!:thumbup1:

If I could find my old XB hardtop, I'd buy it back as well. I didn't build it, didn't own it for that long, but it is the one I wish I never let get away.

I bet on top of your sets and shipping, it was customs who put the final sting into you. Don't they just love to add a whole string of fees. Are there really that many processing fees really required? I just paid $515 duties on a $1700 item, a nearly cried when I saw that!

Saying that though, I really want to sit in those Bentley seats, they look damn comfy!

I think you're right too, I've heard that WA is far more relaxed. I don't know the rules but I think you'll be fine. I've heard someone say before, if you want to mod cars, go to WA.:wink:

I've been doing some reading on http://www.pro-touring.com, they have some amazing builds there. But I'm sure you've stumbled across that place before with the direction you're going with yours. Would be nice to have such freedom like they do. And some of their deep pockets too.

All I can say in regards to your paint, I'm sure you've researched it already though, is to have a plan throughout the whole process. From what I've learnt, anything you do in the early stages could very well have a negative effect later on after all the hard work is done. An imbalance somewhere between two different products or maybe one brand of product and some type of treatment such as the primer they put on after the sandblast. It may not happen straight away but could have negative effects a year or more later. It is just something I'm dreading, to go through all this to only have to redo it again. I'll try to avoid it as much as possible.

I'm looking forward to seeing how yours evolves too. It's great to follow these build threads. And even better to see a local one :thumbup:

Pictures of the Mercedes bonnet (hood) latches that will be used. I was never a huge fan of the bulky system that Ford use. I had a GT that also had factory bonnet pins. I would have to get out, open the bonnet pins and then get back in to pull the hood lever. No doubt only needed adjustment, but at the time I never got around to it. I guess that made me think of a different approach and this is what I decided on. Again, its not in yet, so I dont know it will work...but I dont see why not? PS I'm very happy with how dry the car is under the cowl panel

Perth-20120808-00581.jpg

This isnt exactly where they will go, but you get the gist. The top inner guard rails will be steel channels with flat panels going down, so there'll be plenty of room to weld them in and almost hide them. One will get mounted on one each side nearer the front. The latches are made in mirror copies, so one cable will face forward for coming from the front. Ultimately when they're welded in and ground flush you will only see a small rectangle center section (a hole). The male parts on the bonnet will be chromed. I looked through the wreckers at lots of different ones before deciding that the Merc was the way to go, its strong stuff. Incidently, when you release these suckers they shoot about 6 feet! Merc Bonnets must be heavy!

Perth-20120808-00582.jpg

Out of interest, this is one of the front Cragar wheels I have. I'm thinking I may not be happy having to balance a brand new wheel this much. Now I just have to decide can I wait another year for a replacement? I'll see what they say

Perth-20120805-00576.jpg

was that rear end assembly from TCI Fabquest? i'm trying to figure out how so much rust can develop on those parts.

i've never seen a third member with one rib and the N (assuming nodular) on it. interesting.

I would guess thats a C7AW-G, made for trucks which is far less common then the -A. I do t think the A was ever made in high Nodular but maybe some of the truck ones were? OP, please verify!

Cool build, keep it up!

I would guess thats a C7AW-G, made for trucks which is far less common then the -A. I do t think the A was ever made in high Nodular but maybe some of the truck ones were? OP, please verify!

Cool build, keep it up!

Read more: http://www.mustangandfords.com/techarticles/mufp_0508_currie_enterprises_differentials/viewall.html#ixzz230OJ3ndJ

Hi Fordrevhead, the whole rear end is from Currie and I was pretty specific around what it would have to handle. The one in the caption has a single rib and the caption reads as follows (except I cant find one with "N" either?) -

Currie's 9-Plus Race Case casting is cast from 65,000-psi nodular iron. There are two versions sporting different carrier bearing bore sizes (3.062 and 3.250 inches) designed to accommodate 28- and 31-spline, and 35- and 40-spline hubs and axles...

I'll be pretty happy if this things going to spit itself out under pressure

I've read through my invoicing and theres nothing specific to it, just Nodular iron

Work continues on stripping it down

Perth-20120814-00585.jpg

The front apron panel will be remade by Scott in new steel

Perth-20120814-00586.jpg

Perth-20120814-00587.jpg

When it had its ding they didn't replace this panel

Perth-20120814-00589.jpg

It should look like the other side

Perth-20120814-00590.jpg

Perth-20120814-00588.jpg

Cut out ready for welding in the cross member

Perth-20120814-00594.jpg

Not much left of the dash area, hopefully plenty of space for everything

Perth-20120814-00593.jpg

These front rails will be replaced by new laser cut folded sheet

Perth-20120814-00595.jpg

Should make it look a lot neater, its not looking too flash right now

Perth-20120814-00596.jpg

wow that's a nice set up!

Thanks Drastik and Flanders. Thankfully I also have a great fabricator (Scott at Torque fabrication)

At the moment he's also building an 800+ cube Sonnys engined XB Falcon. The same as the interceptors on the original Mad Max. It puts out out something like 1600hp! Its incredibly cool, I'll try and post some pics of it

It just picked up best unfinished project (or similar?) at our hotrod show

Cheers

Looking good. What color are you going to paint the underbody when its all done? that's a RHD rack setup right?

Hi Menace, the current plan is for the whole car to be in some sort of very deep black and for underneath to be finished to the same standard as the body (thats the plan anyway). Have to admit I noticed a colour at the rod show thats made me think on it a bit more.....

Correct, the rack is a RHD version from TCI

Cheers

Sorry DRASTiK, I'm not sure on the Falcons tyre size and its gone off to the body shop. I'll find out. They make my 12's look like front runners!

Some more pics of the front end

Perth-20120824-00617.jpg

Not much room between the bags and the frame

Perth-20120824-00622.jpg

Fortunately when the wheel goes up these pull out and here they're not under load

Perth-20120824-00621.jpg

Looks a bit nicer than the old stuf below

Perth-20120824-00618.jpg

And safer! Scott pointed this out to me. Obviously lost a wheel at some point in its life and changing it wasnt an option at the time

Perth-20120827-00624.jpg

My wheel arrived after 11 months! Perth-20120825-00623.jpg

The first time its hit the ground with suspension and all of its wheels. This should be its final ride height

FullView.jpg