Sign in to follow this  
miketyler

Best repo shaker hood out htere?

For the guys that have ventured down the shaker conversion path, what hood did you go with? Some of you may have cut your hood but I hope to preserve my original and am ready to pull the trigger on a new hood. My car is a 70 Mach 1 with the cutouts for twist locks. I'm in DFW area and would like to save on shipping with local pickup.

Any thoughts there on quality, fit, or anything I should look for besides the obvious? This will be the largest repop panel I have purchased and going in, I dont have a good feeling about it. :crying:

TIA

Edited by miketyler

Hey mike , I've got one that I bought from a company out of Oklahoma that I have yet to put to use. Maybe I could take some specific photos of it for you to try to give you a better understanding what you get for the 300-350$. There has been a company advertising on DFW craigslist that has them pretty cheap if my memory serves me at all.

Brian

Hi Brian

Thanks for responding. I have been seeing their ads for the last few months. I think they are SouthWest Classics out of Arlington? Their ad shows their website to be: www.swclassics.net.

Have you tried fitting it? I started looking around and realized CJ's is taking standard hoods and is cutting the hole in them and selling as shaker hoods. Not that there's anything wrong with that but I can do that if need be. Am interested in your experience. It could be they have a policy for returns if their products dont fit.

Hi Brian

Thanks for responding. I have been seeing their ads for the last few months. I think they are SouthWest Classics out of Arlington? Their ad shows their website to be: www.swclassics.net.

Have you tried fitting it? I started looking around and realized CJ's is taking standard hoods and is cutting the hole in them and selling as shaker hoods. Not that there's anything wrong with that but I can do that if need be. Am interested in your experience. It could be they have a policy for returns if their products dont fit.

Mike, I'm quite certain Ford took standard hoods and cut holes in them for the shaker. If I'm wrong please correct me, but I don't have an issue with mine. I ordered mine from CJ, as it is based off the Ford tooling and am happy with it in so much as out of box inspection. Can't speak for fit yet, as I have not attempted to put it on my car.

Hi Brian

Yeah Mike, I'd give a thumbs up on swclassics in south arlington, I bought some parts from them for a 65 SS impala and all was good. If you buy a hood that has to be shipped to you and for whatever reason if you have to return it at your expense it ain't cheap.

No I havent tried to fit it yet but I gave it then once over and it looked real clean.

I bought my repo hood from NPD. When it came, on the box it said it was from CJ pony parts. The hood looked identical to my stock hood except where the front hood bumpers hit the hood. There is a hole in each depression. I cut the shaker & mounting holes and the holes for the hood locks.

I am happy with how this came out. Here is a pic of the hood and the car.

JAG

I bought my repo hood from NPD. When it came, on the box it said it was from CJ pony parts. The hood looked identical to my stock hood except where the front hood bumpers hit the hood. There is a hole in each depression. I cut the shaker & mounting holes and the holes for the hood locks.

I am happy with how this came out. Here is a pic of the hood and the car.

JAG

Don't mean to hijack this thread, but where did you get your shaker pieces? Did you buy a fiberglass repo or find a re-conditioned shaker?

No problem. The late model Mustang shaker scoop and cast adapter are nearly identical to the early 69-70 models. I found a new late model scoop and adapter on ebay.My midplate is metal and is a Scott Drake repo. I got it from a reseller that had bought several pallet of Scott Drake blems. My hood gasket is repo and I got the Aussie conversion ring to adapt my stock 351base to shaker. All told, I have over $600 in the lot and still need a vacuum motor.I am told there is an all metal repo out there now that might be worht looking into.