Sign in to follow this  
Boogerschnot

Shelby drop.. wheel sits forward.

Its been at least 2 years since doing my suspension upgrade and I have found that my wheel does seem to sit a little farther forward in the well giving me some rubbing issues at about 3/4 wheel turn. So i dont get the full wheel movement.

Anywat, I just wanted to fin out how many others are having the same issue after a shelby drop. I run 1.5 inch spacers up front with 05 GT wheels with 245*55 17's. I am going to try putting a couple shims in the front end of my upper A arms to try to solve my geometry issues. Any other suggestions would be great.

Don't have the same problem, but you know, we recently acquired a 71. That car does not have the shelby drop, but the guy put 235/60/R15's up front! Wide tires for these cars! Too wide. It was having rubbing issues on the fender wells. While I ws trying to figure out how to handle this with buying new mag wheels and tires, I found the following:

http://www.amazon.com/Mr-Gasket-1285-Spring-Booster/dp/B000932O6G/ref=dp_cp_ob_auto_title_3

I actually bought some of these. They are super cheap, easy to install, and will raise your ride height some. The extra height can help with clearance.

That said, I did NOT install them. WHat happened was I took it to be aligned, wound up getting new strut bushing, new LCAs, new shocks, and new coil perches. With a new alignment, I found out that my rubbing issues were now gone - the car sat significantly higher, so I had no need of them.

I'm just telling you that because, I don't really know how these spacers would work in real life. It would effectively remove a single coils worth of spring (making it a bit stiffer), and I have no idea if it would stay in place.

But, it's so cheap and easy, it might make an acceptable solution. Just throwing that out there. It might be easier than shims...

not sure of your overall issue, but i noticed that dropping the upper control arm forces it farther forward (because the shock tower angles forward as you go lower). to get the caster right when you drop the upper control arm, requires pulling the lower control arm farther forward.

i installed a few shims in the upper arm to alleviate some of this issue. it can get worse if you are going with more caster as opposed to the factory specs.