Sign in to follow this  
Black_69_FB

quartz clock conversion

Just bought a quartz clock conversion from Instrument Services Inc... but I forgot to order the instructional DVD.

Are there any "gotcha's" to look out for? Any advice to make this go smoothly would be welcome. :smile:

I sent mine out to Tachman so I have no idea but I remember seeing some posts on here about it. Do a search for Quartz and you should find the threads I have read.

BTW, where in Indiana are you located? I'm just outside of Indianapolis.

I did mine about ten years ago and it still works fine. The only think that I can remember is that you need to be really careful when you bend the tabs on the back so you don't break them. Other than that it should go smoothly.

Just did mine 2 nights ago. The included paper instructions were adequate, just follow them. One challenge I had was removing the second hand. It was really on tight. I had to rock it and rotate it before it would come off. The rest was by the book. When reassembling, I left off the 3 grommet washers (part no. 10) because the 3 plastic pegs are a bit short. I've had it running on my bench from a power supply since then with no problems. Just be careful with the hands as I don't know if replacements are available. If your clear plastic lens is a bit ruff, use some Novus No. 2 plastic polish. My clock now looks & runs like new.:thumbup1:

removal of the second hand sucked. after that it was just paying attention to the instructions which aren't all that good.

i used a fork under the seconds hand and had to pull really hard. i wasn't sure if i was doing something wrong initially so i was a little scared.

I thought about the fork trick but that would apply pressure to the minutes hand. Bend that and it's boohoo time. Just pulling & rocking didn't do it for me. If I tried harder, I'd rip my finger nails off. The rotating motion is what did the trick. Hey, that minute hand had been on there for 43 years!

Thanks guys, that's the kind of info I was after. Mostly worried about taking the hands off, or missing something and pulling too hard and breaking things.

ksquared, the TKO shifts OK to me, but I don't have anything to really compare it to. It's the first manual transmission I've had in a looooong time. It's probably going to be notchier than a T-5 or toploader. Some people have trouble shifting if the rpms are much over 6k but I don't race or power shift. More like granny shift :P

All I can really do around here is a 1st-2nd run anyway (55 mph 2 lane roads). If I wind it out in 2nd gear to around 6300 rpm I'm already over 70 mph. If I stayed in it in 3rd I'd be doing 80+ pretty quick... good for reckless driving :scared:

But I would never do that :innocent:

BTW, where in Indiana are you located? I'm just outside of Indianapolis.

Sorry, I never answered your question - I'm about halfway between Indy & Fort Wayne. Big town of Converse. We even have our own flashing 4-way light! :w00t: