Sign in to follow this  
69gmachine

radio working now

I was able to get my new JVC radio working using an 11.5V power supply I scavenged from an old PC. The problem was a wire labeled "illumination" was not hooked up to power (intentionally). I didn't think I needed it since it was hidden and I couldn't see it anyway. Apparently it's either more than just for lighting up the display, or I was simply unable to correctly select the correct sequence of button pushes to get it to play.

When it cools down in the fall I'll try installing it again. I really want to be able to play my ipod and keep my cell phone charged, so having a USB port is important to me.

Well, the RF remote really is dead, so now I'm back to square one with making this thing work in a hidden installation.

I could remove the photo diode from the faceplate and bring it up somewhere I can aim the IR remote that came with the radio. But if that doesn't work it would probably be irreversible.

I picked up a radio out of a 75 Ford for about $50. I had Danno do his wire conversion on it. He added a USB port to charge phone & Ipod, added a 3.5mm jack to play my Ipod and also gave me a power antenna lead. Those radios play really well with a small amp tied into the system. This keeps a stock look but also gives you the options you want.

Yeah, that sounds like the best option. I have an original AM radio installed now just for appearances. I guess I need to start shopping for an early AM/FM to convert. Once I have a radio and AC, I'll drive this car everyday.

Just contact Danno on here. He did a great job on mine and it sounds great with a small amp hooked up. I even hid all the wires in the ashtray so when I'm playing my Ipod, nothing shows and it looks stock.

Your idea of removing the photodiode and moving it to somewhere that you can use a IR remote for a hidden application can work. It sounds like you know what you are doing with it. I am guessing you want to try and make your JVC radio work, after all it is new. Another idea is a IR retransmitter. Radio Shack used to sell them. You put the IR receiver in one room, and it transmits by RF to a receiver in another room. The receiver in the other room then converts the RF back to IR. That way you can use a IR remote in one room to control the system in a different part of the house. That might be a lot for you to go through.

You are probably also aware of what I do and how it is done with the auxillary input installation. I have a complete explaination on this site on a different thread from a couple of years ago.

I have another radio that I have done the mod to that will be going on ebay soon, if you want to consider that. But I can certainly understand getting your JVC working. Good luck, if you have questions I might be able to help.

I seem to remember seeing a form of fiber optic extension for IR controlled items. In fact I think I have one in the basement somewhere. Basically a little lens that sticks over the IR detector on the unit, then a "wire" to an IR pick-up you stick where it's needed.

I have another radio that I have done the mod to that will be going on ebay soon, if you want to consider that. But I can certainly understand getting your JVC working. Good luck, if you have questions I might be able to help.

Please PM me with pics, details, and price on this IF 69GMachine is not interested.

Please PM me with pics, details, and price on this IF 69GMachine is not interested.

My questions are:

Has it ever actually worked?

What kind of bend radius is required?

I would suspect a fiber optic cable would have a fairly large bend radius, so it may be difficult to package in a car.

It does sound interesting, but if gsxren wants to experiment, go ahead. I'd love to hear how it turns out though.