Sign in to follow this  
1969mustang

x-pipe or h-pipe?

Well its time to stop pissing off the neighbors and I need some advise in doing so. I'm going to have a full exhaust system ran on my car as soon as I can make up my mind what I want. I have finally decided on mufflers (spintech 3000) and I believe the correct configuration that I need is offset inlet and centered outlet (correct me if i'm wrong please). I just cannot decide if I want to go with an x-pipe or h-pipe. I have heard that x-pipes flow better but I have also heard that all they are for is equalizing the exhaust pressure and that an h-pipe would be fine. I personally think that a well made x-pipe would be the way to go if room allows for it. What do you guys think? I need some opinions please.

Thanks,

Drew

well, i havent seen very solid evidence that an x-pipe makes much of a difference "on a daily". i can tell by the sound that the x seems to flow a little smoother. I personally like the h because it seems to put off a rougher sound. and being the knuckle dragging caveman that i am, thats my taste.. hope the 2 cents helped

There have been many comparisons and although the X usually makes a bit more power, its nothing drastic. I would check out youtube videos for this. The H pipe usually sounds more old school while the X pipe sounds smoother, in most cases that is. I plan to go with the X pipe because they're supposed to make more mid-range power than an H and also because I want my car to sound different.

i've never seen data online proving one over the other. the few times i did see data, i would consider it in the noise of the measurement and the fact that variables like heat in the car, water temp, oil temp differences were probably bigger factors. it's difficult to control those variables since people probably can't change from X to H in minutes and retest.

if someone has some data, then i would like to see it.

also the fact it's argued so much makes me believe there is no right answer.

sound seems to be the biggest discussion.

personally, I think X-pipes are ugly. Stainless works has a nice looking one, but it's probably not functionally the best since it looks like the area where it has to cross (when traveling in a straight line to the other pipe) has a smaller area.

X-pipes also probably cost more...

X or H?

X versus H

Thanks guys! Very helpful info. I am still doing some research on it. Thanks for the links buckeye they are very helpful.

I ordered the spin tech 3000 series today. I got the 2.5 inch offset inlet and centered outlet. Hopefully I will be happy with them.

Supposedly there's a science as to the placement of a crossover pipe as well, so unless you're going to go through the process of determining the correct position of whichever crossover you install, rather than just putting it on, I can't imagine it would matter.

The X-pipe on my 95 gives the exhaust a slight hissing sound (amongst the many other hissing sounds the car already makes). As for performance, the entire Bassani exhaust (headers on back) was better than the stock stuff.....

And thanks for those who posted about the H-pipe giving a deeper, classic sound. I still haven't purchased an exhaust for my 69 (won't for a while). Now I know which kits I should investigate first.

M/C

Thanks again! I guess now I am going to decide if I even need a cross over pipe, but I did read some where while doing my research that a crossover can help reduce drone and sound (have a hard time believing that). Spintech claims that their 3000 series do not have the annoying drone. Hopefully they are being truthful. Guess I can go get a opinion from the guy at the muffler shop now. Decisions, decisions........