Sign in to follow this  
miketyler

Poor fit on new power steering lines

I just installed my new power steering lines. Granted, these are Autozone grade Edelmann and Gates products but still they suck to the nth degree. Looks like they build the return line as one now. The pressure line seems short and at the control valve end binds because the radius isnt bent tight enough. I can work with the pump end of the pressure line as it though bent differently will fit..

The originals were already off the car when I bought it. Anyone got pics of what OEM's look like once installed?

Edited by miketyler

I have to say after laying under the car for some time and working the steering back and forth that these lines just look like crap. I'm not sure it would be much better with the original hoses! Was talking to an older Mustang guy today about this and he said he remembered seeing the PS lines hanging low when these cars were new.

I wonder why Gates didn't make the pressure line assembly as one soft line with formed metal ends? It seems like it would tuck in better. Their replacement line is a deviation from the original and has a 5" section of hard line there at the insulator.

I know this type of setup was used across several Mustang models. I will probably do like everyone else and jury-rig this thing but it just looks like s. What are the alternatives to this? Is there a true powered sector replacement that doesnt cost an arm and a leg?

Edited by miketyler

You can get exact replacements from NPD & Virginia Mustang for under $50. These are the hoses that come from Scott Drake. That is not a lot of money to spend on hoses that you do not want to rupture.

JAG

On my previous reply i forgot to say that the under $50 was for the hose from the cyclinder to control valve. The original hoses from the pump always hung low. I did not like it in the 70s and it still looks the same.

JAG

Attached are a few pictures of an all-original low mile (41k miles) Cobra Jet car's power steering lines. I think they hang low when improperly installed or cheap aftermarket (too long) ones are used. They should tuck nicely with quality hoses.

Good pics, those seem to fit decent. I guess you get what you pay for when buying the aftermarket replacement stuff. My question is, why would they deviate from the original configuration? I will take a pic of them placed side-by-side and you will see what I mean. Wonder if I could get the originals re-made? I know the fitting ends on some of them are unique.

Edited by miketyler

good quality pictures, can actually see what's going on there. Quick question for someone, the two short hoses from power sleeve to power valve were installed backwards, bad deal, got them swapped but got a lot of chatter, is it he O rings in the valve or did I blow the seals in the sleeve.

With the front tires off the ground, check ps fluid level so its full and eng at idle.

Turn steering wheel back and forth from lock to lock holding it just short of trying to force it. This will make pump force fluid into the slave cyl and back to reservior.

Recheck fluid level.

I'm reviving this old thread rather than creating a new one. My question is regarding the rotational position of the ps valve. On my coupe (basic 302), the pressure line is in front of the pitman arm, while the return line is behind, between the valve and cylinder. However, I've noticed in several other photos, the valve seems to be rotated clockwise, so that both lines run on the back side of the pitman arm. Are there different configs? Does my valve need to be rotated?

Bird's eye of my valve

Example of lines together