Sign in to follow this  
Must1969

Deluxe Map Light

Probably an easy question but I still have to ask. My car (69 fastback) did not come with a deluxe interior however I have put one in. The connector for the deluxe clock/map light appears to be a three wire (two male and one female) but the connector on the dash harness is a two wire (male and female)

The question is did the standard interior and the deluxe interior have connectors that are different on the dash harness? I looked in my wire diagram and it shows the three wire? I can add a three wire connector no prob just want to make sure i should not dig around first to see if there is another connector burried behind the glove box or something.

Deluxe and standard wiring should be the same. I haven't looked at mine in a while but I'm pretty sure there's a separate run from the auxiliary post on the fuse box to provide power for the light. You may not have that run so you'll have to find hot 12V.

As for the 3 pins, I know one pin on the connector is 12V, one goes to the map light switch and the other to the switch in the glove box. Either switch can then provide ground and light the light.

Here are two pics:

Lower dash showing all the clock / map light related wires

Far left in front of round A/C duct port is the wire from the glove box door switch.

Right is the double M/FM connector and single FM connector.

Only cars with map light will have the gb door switch, but ALL '69 Mustangs (deluxe or not) will have the other two plugs in the main harness.

2nd pic shows the wiring at the clock & map light ... single wire to GB Door Switch is somewhere on the right ... but you can clearly see the 3-pin (2 Male/1 FM) plug that goes to the M/FM & single FM plugs in your dash harnesss.

I believe the clock harness is the same for both with & w/o map light, the 2 pin M/FM plug going to the green/yellow & black wire map light harness is just not plugged into anything if you don't have the map light.

My clock harness looks a little different as it has an added fuse for the quartz conv clock (fuse holder is taped to the factory plug that would normally plug directly into the clock).

Hope this helps,

Doug

That looks like a standard map light in a deluxe clock panel.

Good eye ... it is ... my car is a Hardtop and you could not get the deluxe wodgrain dash in a Hardtop from the factory unless it was a Grande'.

I thought the interior looked silly with the woodgrain door panels but plain dash, so I swapped it out. These map lights were not very common, so I just made a simple adapter from a piece of 1/8" thick aluminum so the longer body std. map light would fit the deluxe dash. I've now have a deluxe map light, just have never changed it out mainly because it is not in as good of shape as the one I've got.

Doug

The 69 clock harness has a 3 pin to the dash harness but only a two pin to the actual map light. Be aware that the 69 map light has a male/female connector, whereas the 70 map light has a female/female connector!

69 harness:

WCF1.jpg

70 clock harness:

WCF2.jpg