Sign in to follow this  
DRASTiK

Tire Clearance is CLOSE - Opinions Requested

New wheels and tires: 245/45/17 up front on 17x8" wheels with 4.5" BS - Don't foresee any issues here.

Rears: 275/40/17 on 17x9.5" wheels with 5.5" BS - Looks like it may rub. The pics were taken prior to rolling the rear quarter lips in, but even after that it looks like it may rub.

I can't really tell because the car is just a rolling chassis right now and without the weight of the drivetrain, interior, etc., it's hard to tell just how much clearance I'll have as the car is sitting so high. The plan is to run mid-eye 4.5 leafs in the rear, but they're not on the car yet.

I'm on the fence of whether or not I'll have rubbing issues with these rear tires after the car is fully assembled. I have almost an inch of clearance on the inside. The only concern is the outside rubbing on the quarter.

Thoughts?

I am running a very similiar combo except my rear rims are 17x9's (same f/r tire sizes as yours). My set-up in the rear looks almost the same as yours with regards to the lip and tire and I have not had problems rubbing...although I haven't been able to run any autocross courses yet. I have 5 leaf mid-eye's and even added lowering blocks, until I can put in some reverse eye's. I did roll the lip in the front and rear using the eastwood roller.

If the tire will be tucked in the wells then it'll rub on the lip during cornering unless you have a panhard rod or watts link. If you are not dropping it that much then you won't have issues. My 315s haven't rubbed on the quarter lip because I don't have the tires tucked. They do rub on the inside wheelhouse though

the wheels i just sold were 17x9.5' with 285/40's & a 6" backspace. i had no issues at all & could have went with a 5.5" backspace no problem. car at the time was lowered 2" & that was also using the original springs that were 40 yrs old...

my old setup:

IMG_2209.jpg

IMG_2206.jpg

You have an extra 1/2" of backspacing though ;) His third pic clearly shows the lip interfering with the face of the tire if it were lower, and rolling won't get you the 1/4" or so clearance needed.

I would get different wheels with more backspace. At the moment I'm running '94-'04 17x9s with 5.94 backspace (24mm offset). I'm planning to replace them with 17x9.5s with a 22mm offset (6.11 backspace). I may have to use a spacer to move them outboard so they don't hit the leaf spring, but if I do it will only be 1/8". I can run a P285 on the larger wheel.

Thanks for the responses thus far guys! I'm only lowering the car 1" from stock height and I'll be using new springs all the way around (620's in front are already installed). I don't think this will lower the car to the point of tucking the tire in the wheel well (unless car is loaded down or cornering very hard). By the looks of things after rolling the lips (I didn't take any after-pics), the quarter would have to drop quite a bit below the top of the tire before it would definitely rub. That's assuming that the rear isn't moving to one side or the other though, which is probably a poor assumption to make.

Until the car is assembled with the extra several hundred pounds of drivetrain, fuel system, interior, etc., it's difficult to determine what its stance will be. I just got off the phone with the company that I bought the wheels/tires from and they're noting my file that I will not know for sure if I have a fitment issue for a few months. I've got this in writing (email) as well. I feel a bit better knowing I'm not making a huge financial gamble here. I really like these wheels, but they're not offered in many sizes/offsets.

cavboy78 -- would you recommend the eastwood tool? my car is painted and i need to roll the lips... :biggrin:

I am running a very similiar combo except my rear rims are 17x9's (same f/r tire sizes as yours). My set-up in the rear looks almost the same as yours with regards to the lip and tire and I have not had problems rubbing...although I haven't been able to run any autocross courses yet. I have 5 leaf mid-eye's and even added lowering blocks, until I can put in some reverse eye's. I did roll the lip in the front and rear using the eastwood roller.