Sign in to follow this  
Boozshey

What's it worth/gonna be worth?

First I will apologize for wasting your time and I hate making threads like this anywhere, but I am deployed still and can't really just call anyone. So you guys are stuck with me.

I have been watching this car on eBay for a little while. Talk with the owner tonight. Though he believe the engine/trans to be true to the car, he said it was a Cleveland... However, all that aside...

What should one pay for it as is and what do you think the value would be around once back together, maybe not 100% factory, but close...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=140759944053&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

60% of the time people know nothing about the cars except what they think they heard. My dad kept telling me he put a 4 barrel carb in my car and I was holding it in my hands looking at a 2 barrel carb.

That said, this guy did take the car apart and the VIN indicates a 351-2V which could be a Cleveland. So I would probably take his word for it since the picture does not show enough detail of the block to determine what it is. If you're serious you could always ask fr better pictures.

My opinion is the car is already bid up to what it is worth in it's current state. (About $10,000)

If it were assembled and painted I would value it at about $30K. About $8K for painting it gets your down to $22K. Buckeye demon could probably put a better price on the cost to reassemble and get it road worthy but I think 10-12K would be a reasonable range especially if you have to find a place to put everything while it is going back together.

Edited by TexasEd

And it is missing the front suspension which is about $2K to replace from scratch. No mention on if brakes or front spindles are included so that is a risk too.

Edited by TexasEd

If they're put back together and completed. This car is a project no matter how you look at it and if it was done correctly, fully restored in original condition and sold at a Mecum auction it might get $30 Grand as a Mach 1 with 351C 2v.

The fact that the listing ended at $9,100 means that is what the market says it is worth. I could see someone going up to $10K but I would want whomever was going to buy it to know what they were getting themselves into.

Look at completed listings for 1969 Mustangs on ebay and see what they go for when they are running.

Mach 1 - 390/c6 - bids stopped at $33K

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1969-Ford-Mustang-Mach-1-/120915841846?pt=US_Cars_Trucks&hash=item1c27255336

Mach 1 351W little rough but complete sold for $21K

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1969-MUSTANG-MACH-351W-/280886222646?pt=US_Cars_Trucks&hash=item41661f9f36

Mach 1 351W looks really nice. Bidding stopped at $25K

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1969-FORD-MUSTANG-MACH-1-/221025077283?pt=US_Cars_Trucks&hash=item33761f0823

Mach 1 351W in decent shape sold for $16.5K

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=120923584057

Go to the project progress forum and look at Buckeye Demon's 408W stroker thread and see how much work he has put into that car and realize you would be starting at close to the same spot he did in that thread.

I've watched this one go through auction a few times. I first found it out of interest in the rotisserie as I was making my own. Something for me just doesn't sit right, his feedback is terrible as well. The fact that a car person who restores and works on cars doesn't know the difference between a Cleveland and a Windsor also is just strange.

As an overseas buyer, I've purchased twice from the US and for you I'd be going through the same process I did. Get the thing checked out by a third party before making any commitments and especially before handing over any dollars.

I know Matt and Sherri at Shermatt are trusted people to deal with, they are Aussies who bring a lot of cars over here for buyers. They inspect and so forth and help you with the sale. They are based in Florida so they may be able to help you quickly. They may even already know the car as it has been for sale for a little while. I don't know them personally, have just seen them a lot on our local forums.

http://www.shermatt.com/pages/home/home.html

I really appreciate everyone's response. Sometimes when you want something and have that gut instinct that something isn't right, it's better to be talked from the ledge before going any further.

I've contacted the seller again. I will see what he has to say...

Thanks for the link to shermatt, I will be sure to get in touch with them.

There's a picture of the engine covered in plastic in the auction. The view is from the left and the head and valve cover can be seen. It is a cleveland head and valve cover. The cleveland would not be original to the car. Also looks like a spread bore 4 barrel intake.

:whistling::ohmy::no::no: Clevelands were not available until 70.

I did say 60% of the people out there don't know what they're talking about. :oops:

Edited by TexasEd

TexasEd,

Were you meaning Grabber is wrong? He's right, 351Cs not available till 70, though its possible a replacement engine could have been installed, depending on 351W & 351C availability at a dealer.