Sign in to follow this  
Vegassman

Sanding to bare metal?

So...started out my sanding on the trunk lid using these on my 4 1/2" angle grinder:

EZ_Strip_Black_Big.jpg

2 things:

1) my angle grinder is 4.5A and is struggling a little - I'll probably go get a 7A Makita or Milwaukee

2) the paint is really thick and it's taking a lot of passes to get down to the metal which wears those discs out pretty quick. There are more rigid discs available, but I don't want to wear the metal down.

When I do get down to the metal, it's got lots of swirls on it. Feels smooth though. I'll try to get pics, but before I touch any other body parts, I'd like to find out if this is a good surface to work with for prime/paint.

i'm becoming a fan of aircraft stripper. doesn't leave dust EVERYWHERE, and is available at local auto parts stores.

I'm thinking I may do a combination of both methods....finding the thick, brush on stripper for large surfaces, and clean up the edges with the abrasive methods....

I'm thinking I may do a combination of both methods....finding the thick, brush on stripper for large surfaces, and clean up the edges with the abrasive methods....

Thats exactly what I did. Started out with my sand blaster for the hard to get places then used aircraft stripped on most of the body panels then finished it off with some 80 grit on my DA sander. Didn't take much time at all.

Thats exactly what I did. Started out with my sand blaster for the hard to get places then used aircraft stripped on most of the body panels then finished it off with some 80 grit on my DA sander. Didn't take much time at all.

I'll drink to that plan! Is it Beer:30 yet?

I actually did use the stripping disc. I did take all removeable parts to a sandblaster, replaced the quarters, and I have a convertible, so that didn't leave much to strip. My grinder is more like 9 amps, and it did OK, and I thought it was quite a bit faster than the DA sander with 40 grit paper. The problem with the stripping disc, is it will put a bunch of heat in the sheet metal so care must be used. I used 1.5 of those things before they wore out, and it did make a mess.

I have used all methods from air sanders, random orbit, chemical, orbital, 9", 7", 5" and everthing in between. And by far and away the best method has been the discs you are using with a 5" variable speed grinder. Just do quarter of a panel and let your grinder cool off for a bit and find something else to do. Chemical paint stripper is god awful, only useful in hard to reach places. Yes it works but geez there is a better way.

I have used all methods from air sanders, random orbit, chemical, orbital, 9", 7", 5" and everthing in between. And by far and away the best method has been the discs you are using with a 5" variable speed grinder. Just do quarter of a panel and let your grinder cool off for a bit and find something else to do. Chemical paint stripper is god awful, only useful in hard to reach places. Yes it works but geez there is a better way.

Now those discs come in 2 abrasive grades. Is it safe to start off with the harder ones and then finish up with the softer ones? What brand discs did you use?

Edited by Vegassman

I've tried it all also always looking for a the easier path. I finally settled on aircraft stripper (messy but so is dust from sanding) and then finishing up with either sandlblaster on thicker parts and wire wheel on lighter.

Now those discs come in 2 abrasive grades. Is it safe to start off with the harder ones and then finish up with the softer ones? What brand discs did you use?

I will have to check what grade and brand when I get home tonight. I remember they were not cheap at around $15 a piece. But when you consider blasting is around $2000 even if you go through 20 of them you are still a looonnnggggg way on top.

I will have to check what grade and brand when I get home tonight. I remember they were not cheap at around $15 a piece. But when you consider blasting is around $2000 even if you go through 20 of them you are still a looonnnggggg way on top.

Agreed....I'm wondering if the amateur paint, over the stock paint and primer, was just very thick laid on the trunk. I sanded down all the build-up around where I removed the side vent accents, and the paint seemed to peel off much easier.

I could still brush the thick aircraft stripper on the top of the big areas, peel it off and power wash it, then use the stripping discs to clean up the rest.

also might try a heat gun & a razor blade scraper. this isn't near as messy as stripper or sanding. usually, depending on what type of paint is on the car, you can strip it down to the red oxide primer pretty easily then sand the rest off with a d.a. just heat a small area with the gun, then scrape it off....

also might try a heat gun & a razor blade scraper. this isn't near as messy as stripper or sanding. usually, depending on what type of paint is on the car, you can strip it down to the red oxide primer pretty easily then sand the rest off with a d.a. just heat a small area with the gun, then scrape it off....

My primer is white...so does that mean it's been stripped down once already?

And I have a good buddy at Nellis AFB who's going to see if we can rent a blasting bay on base. I know they have a lot of cool shit in the motor pools that the guys get to use.

Crossing fingers.

Checked out the discs and they are Josco brand "brumby". But they did not state the grade but I suspect it is around 60 grit. So even though they are not 36 they still ripped my paint off pretty quickly. Unfortunately there is no "easy" way to strip paint but as I said I have tried them all and this was by far and away the best.