Sign in to follow this  
six_sigma

Carlisle Ford Nationals

Thinking about making the drive this year. Anyone got any advise about making the most of the show or hotel recommendations. I'm planning on going on a bit of a parts spree :thumbup:. Is it worth it or just a huge tourist trap type situation on the parts side?

I bet its a little bit of both but either way I bet it is something to see. I have never been there but if its like The pomona meets in cali you better plan on being there the duration to take it all in and to see everything. Have fun and takes plenty of pics.

It is definately worh the trip.I was able to go the year that they they had the CJ reunion.It was a great trip.My son who was 10 or 11 at the time and I took him to Hershey.The stars havent lined up for me to go back.I will certainly make the journey again.

Plan on staying at a hotel that's at least 20 miles away. All the ones in town will be booked by now. I haven't been the last 2 years, but I love to go. I walk every aisle at least 3 times, and it's huge! I plan on being there Friday and Saturday. The early bird gets the worm!

I may be going this year. It'll be my first time. A good friend of mine and some others are taking a trailer up and have rented three spaces to set up and sell parts. Since I have gotten rid of my Mustang and all spare parts they have invited me to sell some of my artwork up there if I wanted to.

What kind of art do you do Big?

I specialize in charcoal portraits, but recently I have expanded my charcoal capabilities into drawing cars and bikes. So I'm going to take some of my original artwork up there and have some limited number prints as well.

Here are some samples.

I booked a hotel just yesterday, right in town. I guess because of the bad economy there are not as many people going this year as have been in the past. Maybe there will be some good deals this year with a smaller crowd.

Well for a Ford nut it's like mecca. Weather can be anything from cool and wet to hot and misrable. All the big Mustang vendors are there including Ford. It's a 4 hour drive for me and I definitely think it's worth it, but not everyone walks away with the same feeling.

I'm watching an Aussie show called Classic Restos. This episode he is in the US at this show. I'm pretty sure the show is broadcast in the US but here is a link incase you don't get it in your area:

http://www.c31.org.au/program/view/program/classic-restos

You'll probably have to wait until next week before they put this episode up.

Edited by Machattack

Carlisle was great this year! I found everything I was looking for at very reasonable prices. There were some vendors who obviously weren't aware that we're in a recession and their prices were the same as they were in 2007 when everybody thought their stuff was made of gold.

But there were plenty of regular folks who were actaully looking to sell their stuf and the prices reflected as much. I bought a Duraspark dizzy as a core from an 83 F-150 351W for $2.00. When I got it home and took it apart I found it had the desirable 10L reluctor arm. I replaced the custom 12L arm I'd made and also used the OEM magnetic pickup. The cheap knock-offs that come in the rebuilt ones have a lot of slop in them causing the gap to fluctuate. I think that was having an effect on my performance especially at idle.