Sign in to follow this  
55Mach1

How to replace mirror glass on remote sport mirrors?

I ordered a replacement glass unit from NPD but just one side and easily replaced the passenger side. i took a look at the remote drivers mirror and the cables are attached to the aluminum backing of the glass. How do you replace the glass? can anyone post info or photos?

There are 2 screws to the side of the back of the mirror one on each side that screw to the mirror housing you turn the mirror in to get to the outer screw and remove and out to remove inner screw . And once you remove these screws the small bracket behind the mirror should be able to be pulled out enough with cable and mirror bracket attached to replace with new mirror. It is a little tight but doable. You have to turn the mirror with remote all the way to the right or the left to see these screws though or with your hand and look to the side of the mirror just enought room to get a screwdriver in there. And installation is reverse order. Hope this helps but it was a while ago I replaced this mirror.

Edited by klevor
more info

i replaced my passenger one with an NOS piece i found on Ebay and it was easy, the remote mirror does look like the cables are attached in front of the aluminum backer of the mirror so its not easily removed.

i found a seller on ebay selling laser cut mirror overlays, i might buy one for $16 and see if i can glue it over the existing and if it looks sorta proper.

hey thanks for the photo of the backing plate, doesnt look like it has alot of surface area for glue, i wonder if a Map gas torch can soften the original glue and make the glass come off, i rather not smash it and make a mess or cut cut if i dont have to. I just have my door mirror repainted i wish i would have waited.

ok now i got another question should i buy just the glass or one with the black metal backing plate already attached? I contacted the guy i got my NOS one he said he has another passenger side one that i can use for my drivers side i just dont know what to pick up. I want to replace the glass the right way.