Sign in to follow this  
TALLADEGEJONNY

Pastel Grey Mach 1 Restoration begins.

Wow, I didn't know they pulled up the Titanic!

But seriously, I sure hope you know what you are getting yourself into. My first Mustang was a '66 coupe that wasn't quite this bad off and I too thought I'd do the metal work myself. After two years and not even getting half of the metal work done I cut my losses and sold it.

There is a ton of work there and a ton of money in replacement metal. Don't get too over zealous and be sure to pace yourself so you don't get burnt out.

I am certain that more care was used building the Titanic than was used in the construction of our beloved Mustangs.I thank you guys for your input.This isnt a TV show so there is NO fictional deadline to adhere to.I just feel that if I take my time and stick to the fundamentals it is a task that I can do.I have gotten a pretty good deal on the repair panels as well.

This car was sold at the dealership that I was able to make a living at,in the parts department for 19 yrs.It was ordered as a stock unit,with a load of options.Shaker,AC,PS,PB,351w AT.Buckeye,while I am not a fan of your college choice,I am a Georgia guy,you do have metal/bodywork talents that I wish I had.

Got to see my first pastel grey Mach 1 earlier this year at the Carl Casper Custom Auto show here in Louisville. Here are the pics I took of it. Sorry they are kind of dark but it shows the how reflective the stripes are.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/30141210@N08/7354495048/in/photostream/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/30141210@N08/7169282467/in/photostream/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/30141210@N08/7169281105/in/photostream/

I neglected to answer the other question in your post.It was sold in the upstate of SC.To my knowledge it has spent its entire life here.

i bought mine out of northern sc. the dso was charlotte & from what i found, the car was always registered within about 50 mi. of there until i got it. wonder if our cars ever winked headlights at each other on the road in the past???

oh, since were talking colleges too, GO GATORS!!!

Rebuilding a classic car takes a lot of effort and also a lot of money. However, the pay-off could be huge from getting a heap of rust to showroom condition from the ground up. Classic Mustang followers are in good fortune, as a business called Ford Restoration Parts has sourced 95 percent of the original parts for early models of the classic pony vehicle. Ford Restoration Parts offering classic Mustang kits with virtually all parts is a big deal. Legions of people commit annually to restoring a classic car in varying states of disrepair to showroom condition.

I was able to make a little progress today.I keep thinking of the old adage that "Its gotta get worse before it gets better."I seems to just snowball.I almost have the RH rocker completely removed.I take the RF fender off and find the the outer cowl panel is destroyed,so there is something else to replace!!!I am in need of a good set of A and B pillars if anyone has a set let me know.I will add a few pictures.