Sign in to follow this  
50dan

Dash pad dye question. Black or white for red?

My car has original dark red standard interior. My question is...Can I dye a black dash pad to the correct color or should I buy the white for better results??? Does it matter? Anyone done this?

Thanks!

My PO dyed a red dash pad black. He also dyed the red seats black. It wasn't all that bad. Now my thoughts are that a white pad would be easier to cover than a black one. Just guessing since I have no experience in this.

The white will be easier only because you can see the application easier. Red over white seems to be pink. Red over black tends to look marroon. It will take many thin even coats to cover nice ...and let it cure well even for a day or so between for best results.

I dyed my black dash dark red (maroon) and it came out fine. It's lasted for almost a decade, so if done properly and with good care it will last as long as an original.

I'd like to shoot the jack a$$ who dyed a red dash black.

Gmaching, I have no idea which PO did it. It looks like I have had 2 POs during the restore/preservation of my Mach. Who knows how many since it was new. The 1st PO did it I think. Actually he put on one of those plastic cover pads and held it down with silicone!!! The original red pad showed around the edges, so he died it just around the edges, after he butchered the center A/C vent, and dyed the trim pieces. My Mach was candy apple red with red interrior and he wanted a black interrior. I'm keeping it black because of the cost but replacing all the dash area with Ford tooling black parts.