Sign in to follow this  
Mike65

Rebuilding door hinges 69 Coupe.

While I am waiting for my door skin to arrive from CJ Pony for my r/s door, I checked the door hinges, the top one is not that bad ,but the lower one is very loose. I am going to try to rebuild them. I found a step-by-step rebuild procedure for the 69 Mustang door hinges. Anyone have any suggestions or comments about doing this?. www.andrewsmach1.com/pages/mustangresto/doorhinges/doorhingerepair.html

I did it myself years ago when the rebuild kits were still available through Ford. It's not hard. If the holes in your hinges aren't elongated, just cut the old pins out and replace with new pins and brass bushings. If the holes are shot, buy new hinges and install the new pins and bushings. IMO, that's much easier than repairing the holes, though it can be done, obviously, so YMMV.

Anyone have any thoughts or experience about the two "cogged wheels" or the metal pin they wear against? The step by step only addresses the hinge pin. The pin the wheels press against on my hinges has significant wear -does this mean I really need to get all new hinges? or can something be done about that?