Sign in to follow this  
Lilalaric

Timing chain rubbing cover

I have a 1969 302, and the fuel centric is rubbing the cover. I know I probably need to replace the chain but I'd like to get an idea of one that will give enough clearance.

Does anyone know of one that will work?

When I started to tear my original 302 engine apart back in 06' for a simple repaint and new gaskets, freeze plugs what not I found a simillar issue. Here's a pick of what the inside of my cover looked like.

attachment.php?attachmentid=724&d=1160583544

It's not the chain or sprocket size that causes or remedies the clearance issue. Check the cam retaining plate. If it is worn out then you would have too much end play in the cam. That could make it rub the front cover. Once you pull the top spocket off you will see the cam retaining plate with two bolts holding it. The only other reason why the eccentric would have been rubbing the cover is if the cam retainer plug on the back of the block is allowing the cam to walk around too much in the block. Try pushing and pulling the cam with the retainer in place and see if the cam walks front to back more than a few thousandths

As my chain did have some slack I decided to upgrade and replace while at it and went with a true roller double roller set from Summit Racing.

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/SUM-G6620/

After upgrading and reassmbly I measured the distance from the end of the eccentric and the mating surface for the cover and then inside the cover and had about 1/8" extra clearance so I decided in the end not to shave any meat off the eccentric. I just doubled up on the gasket instead for a that little extra clearance and everything seems fine in the end.

EDIT: Holy crap that's a big pic, sorry.

Edited by Pakrat

I had the exact same issue and for me it was due to a thicker dual roller camshaft sprocket. I basically took my fuel pump eccentric and put the open end down on a belt sander to remove some material. This gained me enough clearance to reinstall everything. Be sure to drop the oil pan to get all of the shavings out!

I checked the thrust plate and could see wear on the backside as well as in the middle hole. I'll definitely have to make sure there is enough clearance between sprocket and cover upon assembly, as well as get all the shavings out of the pan.

My cover looked just like that. I found out my Plug on back of the block was the wrong one when they rebuilt it and it was to deep and it pushed the cam forward. Correct plug on block and all if fine now... Good luck.

This is the cam plug someone put in my engine during the last rebuild. It is way to deep. The correct cam plug is looks like a very shallow disc and is almost flush with the rear of the block. This is my 302, I am not a ford mechanic but that was what was wrong with mine. You can see in the picture what the cam did to the plug rubbing on it. The Second picture is the cam plug (right) comapared to a roll of black tape (left)

Edited by Must1969
Additonal info