Sign in to follow this  
TexasEd

Can you roll the car with power ram removed?

I'm getting to the point I want to roll the my car back out of the garage to pressure wash the power steering caked goop off of everything I've exposed by removing the P.S. pump and AC compressor. I'm thinking of removing the power ram, control valve and all the P.S. hoses too. I want to inspect the valve and ram to see if they can be rebuilt.

Can I roll the car in and out of the garage like that or will it tear up the rest of the steering components?

I think you are good with the cylinder removed. Isnt the steering on these cars actually manual; only has an external power assist provided by the pump, lines, and cylinder?

Edited by miketyler

With the cylinder removed you have the same basic set up as a manual steering car.

You may get some leakage out of the control valve ports if you turn the wheel one way or the other though ... so you would be best off getting a pair of plugs & plug them off. This would also keep debris & moisture out of the control valve when you are pressure washing. If you are removing the supply & return lines too, get plugs for these ports as well. Set up like this with all 4 ports plugged, you could even DRIVE the car.

Bring your hoses into the auto parts store and they should be able to match up the right plugs to the hose ends.

Doug