Sign in to follow this  
alex

12v keyed ignition source

dude, there all kinds of places but there are so many variables. its the amp draw your plugging into it is the biggest thing. what wire harness etc details may get you an answer sooner. just my ywo cents

One school of thought is to not add anything to the standard circuits that came from the factory. If you subscribe to that and are looking for an additonal circuit, you can buy the accessory clip that screws on to your fuse box.

Once installed there will be an additional spot for a fuse with a yellow three way bullet connector for up to three devices. The source will be switched with the key. There's a few recent threads around with pics on this.

I am simply adding a few gauges (tach, temp, pressure). Not much extra pull. I have an original harness.

In addition to the accessory clip, is there another easily accessible location for 12v keyed?

The voltage regulator is gone. Not sure about the choke but it is not an electric choke.

I was hoping for a simple extension point in the under dash harness. I guess that is the accessory clip mentioned above.

There really is not a good place under the dash to connect to 12 volts when the key is in the run position. I think everything in the dash wires is on whenever accy is on. As I remember, the 12v ignition on wire goes right from the key to the coil. It could also go to the instrument panel, but I am not sure about that.

You almost need to splice onto an existing wire. If it is just gauges, why not connect them to the 12 v for accessory? The factory gauges were all connected to accessory 12v.

Alex, For an under dash source of switched power look for a yellow(IIRC) flat plug that has 3 round female socket connectors.

It gets power with the key on.

Ed, For your elec choke wiring.

Run 16ga speakerwire to your alt.

Hooking the ground side to the ground lug and the +side to the Sta lug.

Factory ran it that way for a long time.

Look close at the pic, You can see where I ran it thru the manifold around the rad hose and down to the alt in a black sleeve covering.

Simple easy connection.:laugh: