Jayru

Throttle Cable Sticking

The Stang Came out of Hibernation this weekend and after about a 20 min cruise i decided to romp on it a bit. Got to the top of third, went to shift, and the throttle stuck wide open! Had to quickly shut the car off and slam the pedal a few times to unstick it.

Scared the crap out of me! Is there some way i can lube the throttle cable? Or is this unserviceable and i need to get a new one?

Check the bracket on the intake make sure it is tight, disconnect the throttle cable and make sure the butterfly and choke linkage are free, maybe lube them up. If thats all good look for kinks in the throttle cable if there are any get rid of it. If not work it back and forth and see if its sticky. It can be lubed but i would remove it and soak it to do so then work it.

how are your throttle return springs? are you using one, two? any chance they're too close to each other or some other linkage and got bound up together while the throttle was open and wouldn't retract?

Otherwise Fordrevhead is right on - inspect all the moving parts, clean and lube

same thing happened to me after i replaced the carb. the problem was that there is a pin/linkage that wraps around the front that loosely sits in a hole in a plate. It came loose and left it wide open. I found a plastic cap roughly the same size and glued it on to prevent further occurrences.

Same thing just happened to me, following a trip to the muffler shop to replace the exhaust lead pipe.

The guy moved the heat riser tube (that goes to the carb), and wedged it into the throttle spring! It was under the air cleaner, so I didn't see it until the throttle stuck.

I had a buddy who dropped a new stroker motor into his 4 speed '67 Camaro a few years ago. His drop base air cleaner caused the throttle bracket on the Carb to hang up at WOT. Did he think to simply shut off his engine? Nope, he pushed in the clutch instead. You can imagine what happened next. His new block was remodeled with a couple windows, and his oil pan rapidly drained due to shotgun blast sized holes from parts exiting the premises.

I had a buddy who dropped a new stroker motor into his 4 speed '67 Camaro a few years ago. His drop base air cleaner caused the throttle bracket on the Carb to hang up at WOT. Did he think to simply shut off his engine? Nope, he pushed in the clutch instead. You can imagine what happened next. His new block was remodeled with a couple windows, and his oil pan rapidly drained due to shotgun blast sized holes from parts exiting the premises.

And that's why he drives a camaro and not a muzzy.