Sign in to follow this  
l.duckworth14

Engine identification

I recently checked my intake manifold for a 302 and it has the part number:

C8AE-9425-B

MustangCarb005.jpg

You can see it on top of the intake running up under the front of the carburetor.

There should also be a date code that you can see if it matches up with the build date for your car. Mine was 9A17 which should be 1969 Jan 17 which is good because my car was built in January.

well the 8 bolt valve cover narrows it down to a 351c/m or a 400. According to the F0 number on the intake that would be a 1990 but doesnt make sense because from what i can find the 351c was last made in '74 and the 351m/400 was last made in '82. Pics would help...

Just looked over the part number again and noticed the 13726548 is the firing order for 351's and the 400 but still not sure about the F0. There should be a casting number someone like the above picture C8AE-....

Edited by wtfwsat

If I remember right the block casting numbers are behind the starter. Good luck with that one. You can look for codes on the water pump, distributor, and the intake. See if the valve cover has a sticker on it for info. There should be a date code close to the oil filter also. If the t-stat housing bolts to the intake its a small block windsor engine. If it bolts to the block its the cleavland family. Check the intake for more casting numbers.

I recently got a 69 stang from my brother and we think its gotten a engine replacement somewhere in its life. Im not as familiar with engines as i would like to be and im trying to figure out what it is anybody know where an ID tag or P/N might be?

Block ID# is above the starter motor, theres a flat spot on the block.

Look along the same side between the freezeplugs for a casting date code.

That vin indicates it is a 72 Cleveland but without a head casting number or checking the main bearing caps for 2 or 4 bolt you dont know which one. Concidering that the intake is aftermarket, and the rarity of the HO (aka later CJ) I suspect you have the 2v head 2 bolt main version.

351C-2V Generic low compression 351C, '70-74

351C-4V HO Very Rare, Low Compression, Solid Lifters, "High Output" 1972 only

If your head casting number starts D0, D1, D2 you have 4v heads but those could have been swapped two.

With that block casting number the only way to tell for sure if it is a 4 bolt main is to drop the pan. Ford would just grab a block and machine it to accept the beefy caps. If you knew the car it came out of and the vin is another way.

Another thing to note is that EPA began in 72 so if you had an early build you can have the 71 closed chamer quench heads (2.19" IV/ 1.71" EV)otherwise you get the open chamber heads with much lower resulting compression and often smaller valves (2.04" IV / 1.65" EV). There are so many examples in this year period that you really have to measure the valves to be sure.