Sign in to follow this  
JTG

Should I go with a Mustang II suspension?

Here's the back story.

I've had my car (69 Mach I, 351 auto, ps, drums) for 20+ years. It's been in the garage for the last 10 years and I've only touched it a few times. I'm finally going to start going on it again. It's down to the shell now.

I need to replace both torque boxes, the passenger side front frame rail and the battery tray. I need to at least patch the drivers frame rail near the bumper bracket mount. The driver's side shock tower cracked in the past and was welded so that has to go and I'll would probably do the passenger side too. There are at least 2 silver dollar size rust holes in each side of the top of the fender aprons.

It also had all the original steering and suspension components so I pulled it all and and plan to replace them. And I want to upgrade to disc brakes all around.

I priced out a straight up replacement of the suspension and steering and that was in the area of $600 for a basic setup. To upgrade to disc brakes in the front was almost $1,000. For the price of those 2 kits I could get a full Mustang II setup with disc brakes, power rack and pinion and all the advantages that go with it.

I'm not close in the project timeline to putting in a mustang II suspension but this decision will change what sheet metal I would replace. If I stick with a stock suspension setup it would make more sense to get the full apron frame rail assembly for at least the passenger side but if I go with the upgraded suspension I can just put in the frame rail and front apron.

I don't have an "original or nothing" mentality but I'm not going to go crazy on it. I'm planning to swap out the auto for a T5 but I'm going to keep the original interior.

So what do you guys think? Mustang II or original type components? Also, for anyone who has done the Mustang II which brand do you prefer? I didn't realize there were so many out there.

Thanks,

JT

Are you going to be installing the MII or are you going to pay someone? Personally I went with the MII so I can drop in the 4.6 Mod motor. But if you are already going to have the shock towers out and planning on upgrading the suspension I would just go with the MII setup. Better ride quality and its fairly close to what you are looking to spend to get basically stock replacement parts. I bought my MII setup from Speedway motors. Its the same exact kit as TCI and Heidts selld they just use there own crossmembers so its alittle cheaper. For mine with coilovers 5/8" narrowed tubular UC and LC I paid around $1800 but they have just bassic kits for around $1200 if I remember correctly?

Another thing to consider is what your goals for the car are when you're "done". I've never driven a car with a MII kit, so I can't really offer an opinion on how well it feels compared to anything else, but my inclination is that If all you want to do is go cruising, the MII suspension will be fine, and the steering should definitely be improved with a rack that was designed to go with the spindles. The brakes you get on the low buck MII kits are small, but probably adequate for a daily driver and I would imagine beat the hell out of drums, but if you want to do any kind of performance driving you will need a serious upgrade. Small brakes get hot fast.

I think the stock suspension has enormous potential, and you can do it incrementally. If you want more than just a cruiser (read double duty street and track car) you pretty much have to replace everything (IMO), and not with stock replacement stuff.

A lot of people have made the stock type stuff work on the track, so yes it can be done, but I've driven my car with the Shelby drop and Eibach 550 variable rate front springs and Granada discs, which were plenty adequate for the street. Then I completely redesigned everything and added a rack & pinion, matching spindles and big front discs with light weight alum hubs and big C5 calipers.

There is a night and day difference, and I can't imagine that simply by adding roller perches it can even come close to what can be achieved with a well designed coil over with r&p and matching spindles. But of course all this comes at a price, so if all you plan to do is drive on the street, it's probably not worth it.

Here is a bolt in IFS for 65-73 Mustangs. www.jimmeyerracing.com . There ad in mustang Times claims it bolts to stock factory holes.

Mike.

never herd of them, seems to be a simple install. but haven't seen anyone use them.

I herd good things about http://www.ajeracing.com/64-70Mustang.php you can leave the shock towers as is or notch them if you decide to go with a 4.6 - coyote 5.0L

http://www.ajeracing.com/64-70Mustang.php