Sign in to follow this  
69gmachine

Joined the SCCA today!

Well I took the plunge today and joined the SCCA. After talking with Doug Gill I was assured that my car would be legal to compete in the Street Modified class for AX. Now the pressure is on to get it back together in time for the first practice which is April 1.

I have the distributor out having it recurved and I have all the interior out upgrading the wiring. I also have a leak to fix, but that should be just a heater hose replacement.

I hope to make most if not all the D.C. regional events this year. I'm pretty stoked!!

Edited by 69gmachine

There are 3 people who've signed up for the season in my class (SM) and they all have imports, 2 honda Civics and a Subaru Impreza. They're probably very light cars. I couldn't find any weight specs on them doing a google search.

The Hondas came with either a 1.5 or 1.6 liter engine, and although they allow stroking they can't be much bigger than that. The minimum weight is based on engine displacement and tire size, so they only have to weigh approx 1900 lb if they have a P275 tire or less! I have to weigh 2900 lbs with P275s. I'm well over that now.

I bought some light weight 17x9.5 Enkei RPF1 wheels and they fouled the stiffening ribs on my calipers. Nothing a little grinding couldn't fix, but if I hadn't already bought tires, I think I would have gone with 18s. They only weigh 16.25 lbs each, so I hope the weight tradeoff is worth it. Learning as I go...

Nice! I just joined NASA, plan to run my new project (300zx Twin Turbo) in their pro touring class. I need to do almost a whole season of HPDE (high preformance driving events) before I can get a race liscense though.

Is SCCA similar? What do you need to do to get the race license?

Weather's getting nice! We still need to meet up for a cruise sometime soon!

For Autocross the requirements are much easier than for road racing. No special license is needed. Just about any street car will qualify in some category. IMO thay have too many rules. I just barely squeeked into the most modified class before all out gutted race cars.

They have classic pony cars lumped in with imports that have a minimum weight 1000 lbs lighter! That coupled with a much shorter wheelbase means that their polar moment of inertia is much lower than mine, so they will have a huge advantage in a turn. I think they should have just a few classes based on weight, wheelbase, engine and tire size, and let everyone do whatever they want to the suspension steering and brakes.

I came up with a formula for dividing the classes that goes like this:

For a wheel base of 107 to 109 inches (classic pony cars),

wheel size (in mm) x engine size (in liters)/2 + 2200 = min weight. There should also be a separate class for carbureted cars.

For a wheel base of say 102 to 104 inches (imports like a Honda civic)

wheel size x engine size/2 + 1600 = min weight.

And of course a similar formula for cars in between.

I will be working like crazy this weekend to put my car back together. My distributor was finished yesterday and shipped UPS ground from CA, so it won't be here in time to install it and getting running, but I believe I have all the pieces to finish the wiring, so hopefully I'll get the interior all back in.

The weather is AWESOME! I may not make the first practice April 1, but I'm pretty confident I will make the first race in mid May. Most of our races will be at Fed Ex field in Landover MD, so maybe you can come down and after the race we can go for a cruise.

I would love to do NASA, but IIRC, each event is over $250 just for registration, then you add in the cost of a hotel for a couple nights, and travel costs and it's just too much for me right now. Solo Auto X is $35 per event and I can go home the same day.

Edited by 69gmachine
spelling