Sign in to follow this  
miketyler

Key buzzer relay for 70 Mach?

I am getting ready to put the clock panel in and have two plugs unconnected. One is the wide three lead plug for the key buzzer relay. Are these availale or do most just leave this disconnected?

The other is a three lead plug similar to sealed beam in shape. Wire colors are red, blue, and black/green stripe. I've panned over the wiring diagrams and cant nail this one down.

Thanks in advance

The fan switch is plugged in and is a 5lead plug. It wont reach that far either. See pic. The plug falls about center of the glove box. Maybe is a plug for the rectangular standard clock?

Edited by miketyler

The fan switch is plugged in and is a 5lead plug. It wont reach that far either. See pic. The plug falls about center of the glove box. Maybe is a plug for the rectangular standard clock?

The standard rectangular clock uses the same harness as the Mach-1 round clock.

So much for that theory. Aside from the clock and maplight there really is nothing else in that area. Am stumped here.

I had a new 1970 Grabber Mustang in 1970 (March 1970 build date) and I remember there was a Ford note in the car about the key buzzer being deleted on my car.

Here ya go Mike, I'm pretty sure they are the same as the Cougars:

1970_buzzer.jpg

Pic of it installed:

Plugs.jpg

Plugs_2.jpg

yhst-11089400041767_2198_378818699

http://www.cougarpartscatalog.com/d0ab-13150-f.html

Also, I believe there were two versions of the key buzzer. One as shown above with only two metal prongs, and another with four prongs. In the picture with it installed, there appears to be a ceramic cover over the rear two prongs. Below is a link to the buzzer than has the four prongs.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1970-Mustang-Mach-1-Grande-Boss-Cougar-Eliminator-ORIG-KEY-WARNING-BUZZER-RELAY-/160710179485?pt=Vintage_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&vxp=mtr&hash=item256b12ba9d

$%28KGrHqZ,%21l%21E5YQCBY2nBOc-0KK2Jw%7E%7E60_12.JPG

And the stalk it mounts to:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1970-Mustang-Mach-1-Boss-Grande-Cougar-XR7-ORIG-KEY-WARNING-BUZZER-RELAY-BRACKET-/150663930122?pt=Vintage_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&vxp=mtr&hash=item231445210a

$%28KGrHqYOKjgE5WuvdTeMBOc9Vg5YKg%7E%7E60_12.JPG

Regarding the other plug, I believe there is an extension harness for that one and is definitely for something on the A/C or heater plenum. Are you sure you don't have an A/C harness in a non-A/C car?

Thanks - The buzzers seem to be a pretty rare bird. I had another theory on the other plug. Maybe it was for non AC cars blower motor resistor block.

On a heater-only car, is the resistor above the glove box?

EDIT: meant to say, my car is an AC car and already has fan switch, temp sensor, and blower resistor connected.

Edited by miketyler

$%28KGrHqF,%21jME66NElpO+BO5+yiyPkg%7E%7E60_12.JPG

It is right behind the glove box. Above is I think an A/C resistor but below you can see the hole in the heater box at the right where the heater resistor goes. Do you have some random single plug green wires not connected anywhere? Those are a common sign for an A/C harness, although there is a single green plug that goes to the heater switch below the radio on the heater only cars.

$%28KGrHqF,%21i0E8%28TBOqmkBPTrkqI4+%21%7E%7E60_12.JPG

My car is an AC car and I do have the two lime green wires and they attach to the temp sensor. The heater-only resistor location would sure suggest that's what it's for. Do you think Ford would put resistor plugs for both types in their AC cars?

$%28KGrHqF,%21jME66NElpO+BO5+yiyPkg%7E%7E60_12.JPG

It is right behind the glove box. Above is I think an A/C resistor but below you can see the hole in the heater box at the right where the heater resistor goes. Do you have some random single plug green wires not connected anywhere? Those are a common sign for an A/C harness, although there is a single green plug that goes to the heater switch below the radio on the heater only cars.

$%28KGrHqF,%21i0E8%28TBOqmkBPTrkqI4+%21%7E%7E60_12.JPG

Except the plugs Mike is asking about does not match the resister prong arrangement in the heater box.

From what I understand (bear with me, been a LONG while since I've looked at mine), the bottom three connectors which are the two vertical and one horizontal below match the connector that Mike is questioning. I believe the upper single post is for a single green wire with black connector, similar to what is shown in the key buzzer picture that the guy circled in yellow. Again, its been forever since I looked at mine and my mach has A/C and the fastback does not....so I easily get them confused!

What I'm not sure about is if the resistor in the above picture is for A/C, and the one with the heater only has the 3 prong. Mike I'd recommend you looking at your heater box to see what yours has.

My car is factory AC car. The AC airbox is installed and blower motor, temp sensor, and fan switch are all hooked up. I had labeled these when I pulled the AC box.

This extra connector appears to be a resistor block connector for heater-only car. None of the rest of you guys with AC cars have this extra connector? If not my harness may have been converted for AC.

I think I figured it out. AC cars would have plugs for blower resistor blocks for both AC and heater-only plenums.Heater-only cars would only have the one there at the glove box.

Edited by miketyler

Here is that extension harness I was thinking of Mike:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1969-Mustang-Mach1-Shelby-Cougar-ORIG-A-C-SWITCH-WIRING-/150478089656?pt=Vintage_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&vxp=mtr&hash=item2309316db8

%21BVmjvbw%21mk%7E$%28KGrHgoOKkQEjlLmVIM2BKTSTo0%211%21%7E%7E_12.JPG

I'll have to do some more digging to come up with where it connects to.

Edit: Ok I found a picture of the blower for an A/C car. See if you can locate it and the location of the resistor

$%28KGrHqV,%21pcE7Bcvjlv2BO7QOs4PQg%7E%7E60_12.JPG

$%28KGrHqIOKnUE52l-OTySBOqcpNcMqQ%7E%7E60_12.JPG

$%28KGrHqYOKkIE6Q%294S8hSBOqcpSFjfw%7E%7E60_12.JPG

Ok, am re-kindling this fire now that I am dangerously close to closing everything up. I determined that the small square 3lead plug is for the heater-only blower and is present as a spare for AC cars. I have taped it up since I am using factory AC blower.

The key warning buzzer plug I still need to find a relay buzzer for. It looks to be a 3 lead unit and book calls it a D0ZB-13150-A "buzzer assy". I see some other part numbers like D0AZ-13150-E and D0AB-13150-F but these only have two leads with a plastic center guide which looks to ensure the buzzer only goes one way.

Would one of these other two pin buzzers work?

Sweet! Since yours has the four posts, I wonder if the other side works the same way? I'd also test those prongs with a voltmeter with key in as well as out to make sure the exposed prongs aren't hot. If so, better cap or tape them up ;)