Sign in to follow this  
Archon

oil pressure problems.

Ok so when the car is cold it has no problems. When it heats up the oil pressure drops significantly and I start to get a slight knock. I know the rear main needs to be replaced but would that fix my problem? Also what would be a reasonable price for a mechanic to charge to replace the rear main? Thanks.

Ok so when the car is cold it has no problems. When it heats up the oil pressure drops significantly and I start to get a slight knock. I know the rear main needs to be replaced but would that fix my problem? Also what would be a reasonable price for a mechanic to charge to replace the rear main? Thanks.

My rear main seal was a piece of rope. I had to take the engine out (to lift the crank up) to get it out! If you have a 2-piece rear main then it can be done by dropping the oil pan and rear main only. So, I'd say it's tough to give an accurate guess on labour!

Plus, I'd say a leaky rear main seal isn't going to cause the pressure drop that you're seeing. As asked above, what weight oil are you using?

My rear main seal was a piece of rope. I had to take the engine out (to lift the crank up) to get it out! If you have a 2-piece rear main then it can be done by dropping the oil pan and rear main only. So, I'd say it's tough to give an accurate guess on labour!

Plus, I'd say a leaky rear main seal isn't going to cause the pressure drop that you're seeing. As asked above, what weight oil are you using?