Sign in to follow this  
jagsfan811

Nick's 69 Coupe Resto

Not having the kick down rod installed will not prevent you from going from P to R to N to D to 2 to 1.

And I agree with Big Secz, it is a lot more fun to have the passing gear working.

I appreciate the write up. I understand the concept of the lokar cable but i am confused as to why the original throttle cable wouldn't work and just change the position on the carb? Or is the lokar cable a different type of cable? Would you be able to supply me with the link where you bought yours? I did a brief google search and I want to make sure what I am looking at is correct. Thank you

You're still getting confused. It has nothing to do with the throttle cable. You still use the regular throttle cable. The kick down is used in addition to the standard throttle cable. The original kick down rod is a a steel rod that is bent in a way to go from the top of the throttle linkage on the carb, down the back of the motor and connect to the lever on the transmission. No one that I know of makes the original kick down rods so Lokar offers a kick down cable that can be used.

Here's the kit I used http://www.cjponyparts.com/lokar-c4-kick-down-cable-1964-1970/p/KCC4/

I did a quick online search and here are a couple pics to show the difference in how they connect to the carb. First image is a diagram of who the Lokar cable connects to the throttle linkage. Second image is a picture of a carb with the kick down rod connected to the throttle linkage. Another quick search only turned up repo kick down rods for C6s, couldn't find any for a C4, but I'm sure one might pop up on eBay.

thank you Big Secz I now understand what the cable does and I will be ordering one. The reason I asked about whether not having one connected would cause my tranny not to shift gears is because when I put my car to D I cant leave first gear no matter how high the rpms go. Only when i manually put the car in 2nd can I stay there. I think its the vacuum modulator but was unsure.

thanks again

Edited by jagsfan811

I started my restoration on my 69 mustang and I need a few panels, is there any way I can get a list of those guys that have donor cars for parts as well. I'm in need of the rear transition panel that has the rear shock mount panel. Any ideal on where I might find this piece for a reasonable price?