Sign in to follow this  
miketyler

Under dash electrical questions

Am fitting things all back together and want to make sure all is plugged and test what I can before I put instrument cluster and clock panel back in. Just looking around I found these two that have no mate. The smaller single pin may be accessory light? The red one seems odd and have no clue.

Its a 70 Mach 1. I did add the trunk light and plugged it into the harness in the drivers side rear quarter. Since that light fixture in the back has its own built-in switch, it will need a power source thats hot all the time. Does that plug supply the source for trunk? If so, where do I plug it in?

Any ideas on the funky red plug?

Edited by miketyler

What year is your Mustang? I have a 69 and discovered that I have a light for the ignition switch. I don't think the 70 had that.

No the 70 Mustangs had the ignition switch on the column & did not have the lighted switch that I am aware of.

I did add the trunk light and plugged it into the harness in the drivers side rear quarter. Since that light fixture in the back has its own built-in switch, it will need a power source thats hot all the time. Does that plug supply the source for trunk? If so, where do I plug it in?

Any ideas on the funky red plug?

Sorry Mike that "funky" red plug doesnt look factory to me?:confused1:

Maybe it was part of the 4 speaker fader add-on. Midlife thought it was an aftermarket kit but I later found it in the 70 Wiring diagram book. Still, none of the plugs look like that one with the pins spread so far apart.

Edited by miketyler

The green/yellow plug is the trunk light. According to the manual for a car equipped with it originally, it should tie in to the same power source as the glove box light. However, my car didn't come with it so the wire connecting it from drivers side over isnt there. Probably need to find a convenient hot-all-the-time source that's fused to plug it in to.

Just replaced all my heater blower and heater box along with my gauge circuit board and I dont remember a plug like that one (the one on the left picture) when I had everything torn out. I could be wrong but it does not look familiar. My speaker wires to the doors were black and white .

Edited by 70mcode

Just replaced all my heater blower and heater box along with my gauge circuit board and I dont remember a plug like that one (the one on the left picture) when I had everything torn out. I could be wrong but it does not look familiar. My speaker wires to the doors were black and white .

Edited by 70mcode

My car did have the 4 speaker and fader control option added. The plugs for it look similar to that but none have that connector with pins spread apart. Will see if I can get a pic if that add-on harness and you will see the similarity.

My car did have the 4 speaker and fader control option added. The plugs for it look similar to that but none have that connector with pins spread apart. Will see if I can get a pic if that add-on harness and you will see the similarity.

I have looked into it, and I really think that red connector is not a part of factory wiring. Does it have one black and one white wire to it? Do the wires from it go into the main wire harness or s seperate harness? Is there a chance this harness came out of a car other? It is not a part of tilt steering or cruise, so if must me some add on, maybe from the dealer. Which direction in the wire harness do the wires go?

I have looked into it, and I really think that red connector is not a part of factory wiring. Does it have one black and one white wire to it? Do the wires from it go into the main wire harness or s seperate harness? Is there a chance this harness came out of a car other? It is not a part of tilt steering or cruise, so if must me some add on, maybe from the dealer. Which direction in the wire harness do the wires go?

The red plug has one light grey, one blue, and one black wire and I don't think its from another car. If so, they went to a lot of trouble to add it in. Holding up the fader harness plug to it you can see the similarities. I cant tell if it runs to the fuse box without untaping it.Heres the harness as it came back from Midlife. You can see it there in the photo as well.

The red plug has one light grey, one blue, and one black wire and I don't think its from another car. If so, they went to a lot of trouble to add it in. Holding up the fader harness plug to it you can see the similarities. I cant tell if it runs to the fuse box without untaping it.Heres the harness as it came back from Midlife. You can see it there in the photo as well.

Oh... so this was a rebuilt harness by Midlife? Is it possible they added something? Can you see where the light grey wire comes out of the harness? Look everywhere there is wires without tape and see if you can find the grey wire. I have the factory color codes for wires in 69/70, and grey was not a color they used then. Could Midlife have added the speaker fader wires? Does the light grey wire go to where the radio connects???

Oh... so this was a rebuilt harness by Midlife? Is it possible they added something? Can you see where the light grey wire comes out of the harness? Look everywhere there is wires without tape and see if you can find the grey wire. I have the factory color codes for wires in 69/70, and grey was not a color they used then. Could Midlife have added the speaker fader wires? Does the light grey wire go to where the radio connects???

Midlife did the tach conversion. As you know it consists of repinning the main instrument panel interface plug. He made no other changes other than a few terminal end repairs. I asked him about it and he thought it had something to do with emissions.

If you have the Osborn wiring manual for the 70 Mustang, you will see the fader control and harness on the page with the "1970 Mustang Radio and Tachometer" diagram. There you will see wire code 706 labeled as gray. Regardless I dont have a mating plug for it on the fader control harness.

Midlife did the tach conversion. As you know it consists of repinning the main instrument panel interface plug. He made no other changes other than a few terminal end repairs. I asked him about it and he thought it had something to do with emissions.

If you have the Osborn wiring manual for the 70 Mustang, you will see the fader control and harness on the page with the "1970 Mustang Radio and Tachometer" diagram. There you will see wire code 706 labeled as gray. Regardless I dont have a mating plug for it on the fader control harness.

I looked again, and my factory schematics are for a 69. That explains why you see it. Color code 706 is not in mine, and neither was the factory fader. So you have some sort of factory speaker system wires. Maybe you should ask Midlife about a mating connector or harness?

I looked again, and my factory schematics are for a 69. That explains why you see it. Color code 706 is not in mine, and neither was the factory fader. So you have some sort of factory speaker system wires. Maybe you should ask Midlife about a mating connector or harness?

I did - he thinks that connector is for some emissions control. No biggy, I only asked as I was about to install the instrument panel. Much easier to get at it now then after I have panel installed. I am curious though exactly what the red connector is for. I am not going back with the fader. Let me know about the radio conversion I emailed you about when you can. :)

Edited by miketyler

I did - he thinks that connector is for some emissions control. No biggy, I only asked as I was about to install the instrument panel. Much easier to get at it now then after I have panel installed. I am curious though exactly what the red connector is for. I am not going back with the fader. Let me know about the radio conversion I emailed you about when you can. :)

Edited by miketyler

I don't know if this will help satisify your curiosity but when I tore down my 70 Mach1 there was thermal switch mounted to the pillar right in front of the hole through the pillar that the wiring goes through for the drivers door. I'd have to take the dash cover off to prove it but I think the plug to this switch was the red one you're showing. I've included a pic the 69 I'm working on now which shows the small hole where the switch was in roughly the same spot as on my 70 which I assume most cars just have a rubber grommet plugging it up. My 70 came with as near as I can find a name for it, an Electronic Distributor Modulator system(blue box beside fuse box) which I've also included a pic of which seems to use the same type of connector. It appears the system controls vacuum advance on the distributor.

I don't know if this will help satisify your curiosity but when I tore down my 70 Mach1 there was thermal switch mounted to the pillar right in front of the hole through the pillar that the wiring goes through for the drivers door. I'd have to take the dash cover off to prove it but I think the plug to this switch was the red one you're showing. I've included a pic the 69 I'm working on now which shows the small hole where the switch was in roughly the same spot as on my 70 which I assume most cars just have a rubber grommet plugging it up. My 70 came with as near as I can find a name for it, an Electronic Distributor Modulator system(blue box beside fuse box) which I've also included a pic of which seems to use the same type of connector. It appears the system controls vacuum advance on the distributor.