Sign in to follow this  
Mike65

Headlight bucket repair?

On one of my headlight buckets the tab that the gravel shield (the panel the runs from the l/s h/l bucket to the r/s h/l bucket) attaches to is corroded & the hole to bolt the gravel shield is gone. Has anyone repaired these before? Any ideas?. I was thiking of making a piece out of sheet metal & then epoxying to the bucket. What do you all think?. TIA.

Mike.

There is a guy on Ebay that sells a repair kit. I'd post a link for you, but I can't access Ebay at work.

I found the guy selling the repair kit for the lower tab to the front splash pan, the part that is corroded is where the center filler panel that is just below the grille where it bolts to the h/l extension.

If I am following correctly than the part you have broken is hidden under the gravel shield anyway so do what ever it takes to repair the bolt hole it won't really matter. Use some metal epoxy to rebuild the shape and sand it down. If you're worried it won't hold then after that just JB weld a flat washer or piece of sheetmetal to the underside for extra strength.

If I am following correctly than the part you have broken is hidden under the gravel shield anyway so do what ever it takes to repair the bolt hole it won't really matter. Use some metal epoxy to rebuild the shape and sand it down. If you're worried it won't hold then after that just JB weld a flat washer or piece of sheetmetal to the underside for extra strength.

Yes, you are correct, it will be hidden by the gravel shield & the chrome grille opening trim. I was thinking of using epoxy to rebuild it since it will be covered. Thanks Pak for the suggestion.

Mike.

I can't recall the exact name of it as it seems to be labeled under a few different ones but my favorite that I have used for tons of fixes is the one that comes in a tube about the size of a roll of quarters, it's a gray putty with a black center and you just cut off what you need, work and kneed it to a dark gray color and then you have about 15-20 min to use before it starts to harden. I've reformed and remade all kinds of parts even movable ones with tension and springs on them and it has never failed.

No, the stuff I get is usually in the adhesives aisle at my local hardware store like ACE and I think I have gotten one at Home Depot once before too. I think once it was something like PC7 but I have gotten the same stuff under different names. They make an all purpose and then some specialty ones, the metal base actually has like metal fibers in it.

Went to Home Depot today to pick up a new bathroom vanity & checked in the paint dept & found made by JB Weld it is called steel stick, steel reinforced epoxy putty stick. I will let you all know how it wors out.

Mike.

Well here is the update on the headlight becket repair, the stuff works GREAT!!!. It is called JB Weld steel stick. It is like Pak said about the dia of a roll of quarters & is gray in color with a black center. What I did is get a couple washers that would take up most of the missing area of the corroded tab on the headlight bucket. Keeping 1 washer whole & cutting down the other washer to make up the missing area of the tab I glued them together using Locktite super glue gel. After the 2 washer were glued together I glued them to the bucket where the corroded was making up the basis of the new tab. Then I cut off a piece of the steel stick & worked it to a uniform black color then just started covering the washers I glued to the bucket. Once the washers were completely covered with the steel stick I let it cure for about 1 hour & it felt just like the metal bucket. Then I just ground it smooth & the a little hand sanding & primer & it looks almost perfect. Once it is put together no one will know it was repaired. It anyone missed my earlier post I got the steel stick at Home Depot in the paint dept where they have all the adhesives & glues. Thanks for the tip on this stuff Pak. I will take some pics tomorrow & post them ASAP.

Mike.

100_0366.jpg?t=1328737704

Dave here is a pic of the l/d headlight bucket on the right & the l/s h/l bucket on the right to show what the tab should look like on the r/s bucket & what it is like on the l/s bucket that I have to repair.