Sign in to follow this  
69volunteer

1969 Clock

I posted this on the Mustang Forum without much luck. I am looking to replace the lens in my rectangle clock. I carefully bent the metal tabs back on the housing but not sure how to remove the nob (or entire post) from the time change post. I assume the chrome plastic unscrews from the metal post attached to the clock mechanism?

Also, I cant seem to find a repop of this lens. I checked MU, CJ and a couple of others but only seem to have the round Mach 1 lens. Suggestions?

To remove the set knob just pull the knob out as if you were going to set the clock and then grab the rod with some needle nose pliers and then just unscrew the knob to the left and hold the rod with the pliers. As far as the lens goes I have not sen them You can usually buff out minor scratches with the same stuff they use to restore plastic headlights.

If you are unsuccessful unscrewing knob maybe is the same as the 69-70 deluxe clock. You can wrap a rag over the drive gear and carefully grip with pliers and pull gently with a rocking motion. The gear is soft brass so be careful with the grip pressure

Let us know if you have any luck with the clock lens, if not I believe I have a rectangular clock I purchased a while ago & decided not to use. If you are interested I can try to locate it.

I have a square clock that the lens has yellowed. I too removed the lens, I sanded, polished etc to no avail. I don't believe there is a repop, as I tried for months to find one. I couldn't find one used either, as these clocks are very rare (compared to say a tach cluster or fold down rear seat) Not as rare as cruise control- still be careful or you'll have a broken square clock. I did get mine working though. I am not sure but maybe torinos had the square clock and the 71-73's clock looks close so maybe a source for parts???

Thanks everyone. That is what I thought....pliers on the post and twist the knob. The car was owned by smokers and the plastic is severely yellowed. I had the same thought on using the lens restorer--the 3m product works pretty good.

Why so rare on the rectangle clock?

Why so rare on the rectangle clock?

I'm guessing people who had the money to splurge simply opted for a $100 deluxe interior. Those without were less likely to pay an extra $15 just for a clock. That, combined with the sheer number of Mach I's produced, made the rally clock much more common than the rectangular one.

http://www.1969stang.com/pricelist.html

Can't cut a piece of plexiglass as the edges are beveled (maybe a 45* angle that encompasses the front of the clock.) Hard to describe- and my clock is reassembled- If anyone finds a source please post it, or even a solution. I hope the yellow will come out- but the best I could do was a slight improvement (really not worth the effort and risk of ruining the clock) It it slightly noticeable now- BUT at night it restricts light and is very dim compared to the other gauges (and thats with 5x led bulbs) FWIW- I tried all the plastic polishes incl: meguirs, 3M, and duragloss, then moved to sanding with 2000 grit, then polishing again.

edit: thickness of the lens is approx the same as the other gauges lenses.

Edited by dzahm

Its not cut on an angle but molded at an angle. (think shoebox lid but with the "lip" at a 45*not a 90*) I guess you could glue pieces onto the flat. I will see if the lens will show up in a picture