Sign in to follow this  
Jimjific

My first 69 Fastback

All,

I figured I'd start a project thread. It will force me to take pictures along the way, which I usually think to do after I'm done.

So here is the first major thing that I've done. New rims and tires. It had the GT style wheels with 215/70/14 tires on it but I've always wanted a set of Magnums so I got 15 x 7's with BFG 235/60/15. No issues with tire rubbing. In fact, the wheels end up being about the same diameter as what I had on it but are about 1.5' wider. Yes the blue is still on the letters. I tried to wash them off but being it was ~20 degrees when I tried, all I was doing was making ice and freezing my hands. The only issue I've had is 3 of the four center caps are really loose. I'm not sure if I can just bend the tabs to make the fitting tighter or not. Any suggestions?

Next up will be lowering the upper control arms. then lowering springs. I will do it in stages to see how it affects the front end.

That is what I was planning on doing. I will probably go with mid-eye leafs once I get the front down.

Good eye on the hood. Yes it is a 68' XR7 GT 390. The car is in my barn. The original engine was busted but I have a new block. I think the plan will be to go with a Scat stroker kit. The body on the car is perfect. Zero rust.

Jim

Buckeye,

I don't get to bike as much as I would like especially now that it is winter here. I have done a few long trips in the past and always find them to be some of the best things that I have ever done. The tandem we got just last winter. We had rented them before in Cape Cod so we knew we could ride one. I've always wanted to go across the country. I almost attempted it back around 1992 but it fell through. I take it you bike?

Jim

Buckeye,

I don't get to bike as much as I would like especially now that it is winter here. I have done a few long trips in the past and always find them to be some of the best things that I have ever done. The tandem we got just last winter. We had rented them before in Cape Cod so we knew we could ride one. I've always wanted to go across the country. I almost attempted it back around 1992 but it fell through. I take it you bike?

Jim

i wasn't sure if i found another avid rider or not. sounds like you enjoyed the trip with your wife. that's good you both can do something active.

i lead out a group of 10 to 20 riders on wednesday nights and saturday mornings (when the temps are at least in the upper 40's by the end of the ride). nothing crazy, only about 2000-2250/year, enough to balance out time with the car.