Sign in to follow this  
1969 coupe

rear end question

When I pulled my engine and trans the other day I noticed some play in the rear end. I'm not sure of the proper terminology but I could turn the yoke almost a 1/4 turn before feeling any resistance. I assume this is not normal and need to know what is wrong here. Please remember I am a beginner to this when replying.

Is this a factory 8" or 9" rear end? It is normal to have some play between the pinion and ring gear which you can feel at the yoke where the u-joints bolt to. But that play is measured in thousandths of an inch, not inches. Can you provide more info on your car's rear end. Bruce

No tag, but I am almost positive it's an open 8", 3.00. That is what is suppose to be in there from the door tag. I know that is not always the case but I had a friend look at this for me 20 years ago and I think the tag showed it was the factory original. I had forgot that it had that much play being it has sit for so long.

i don't know how improper setting of the ring/pinion backlash would create that much play unless you had teeth missing.

to back up my statement below about the locker in my car. i had noticed several months ago that i could turn the driveshaft about a quarter turn before the wheels would start turning. i was a little worried as i had setup the rearend myself.

reading the instructions with the locker indicated the following (and for what it's worth, i have 4.11's):

"These characteristics are normal because of backlash designed into the NoSPIN differential, which is of a fixed amount (1 to

2 inches of rotation at the tire tread).

Backlash or slack between the driving and driven clutch teeth is an inherent part of the NoSPIN and necessary to permit

automatic operation when driving in forward and reverse. The total backlash in the driveline is increased by the amount of the

reduction between the ring gear and pinion. If the ring gear-pinion ratio is 5 to 1, the total backlash in the driveline with the

NoSPIN would be about 30°. This in turn is increased by clearances between planetary gear, sliding splines and the ring and

pinion gear. We feel that the total driveline slack can amount to as much as 1/4th turn of the driveline without being abnormal,

but if it exceeds 1/4 turn, other parts in the drivetrain could be checked."

I have no idea what you have, but just something coincidental with your description and my experience with the locker.

Eaton Locker

I am kind of new to all of this so I am not quite sure what I am being told. I remember years and years ago it always had a really bad "clunk' when letting off the throttle. I had forgot about that over the years and am now unsure if there is an issue or not. So, do I have an issue or should I just let it ride? It will come out for body work so if I have a problem I would like to fix it at that time. Thanks

Edited by 1969 coupe

are you sure you don't have a locker in your car? did it clunk when making turns?

I can't say for sure it's not a locker but I really don't think it is. I do not remember any clunking sounds while turning. IIRC it just made the clunk when letting off the throttle or putting it in gear. Any easy way to check and eliminate that it is a locker or not?

All diffs have play, so I would worry about it when you have to. Drive the car and if it sounds funny then worry about it. Until then get that front end fixed, and I want pictures! lol

Can't drive it, nothing left in it but some glass, rear end, some flat tires and a few other items. I was planning on welding some chain link fence to patch the tower, what ya think? LOL

Can't drive it, nothing left in it but some glass, rear end, some flat tires and a few other items. I was planning on welding some chain link fence to patch the tower, what ya think? LOL

Yea, do that and then I will buy it off you! I just love fixing that shit up! lol