Sign in to follow this  
Heck181

Suspension upgrades

Anyone know what the best suspension upgrades are or what they are doing now to make these old cars ride like a new car.

I still have me first car 1969 fastback. Me and my dad built it together back in 91-92. My father recently passed away so I want to do a complete restoration/mod. In his memory. But I want the car to ride like a new car

Thanks

Watch your spring rates, and don't use anything but the stock type bushing in the suspension. A lexas is smooth, not harsh sticking with the stock stuff is probably your best bet. Don't get crazy with the tires, your first shock absorber is the tire, get a good radial like a bfg and keep a tall side wall, won't be the best handler but will ride smoother.

Not sure I have ever heard of a Mustang build going after the ride traits of a Lexus. In fact, that's sort of the epitome of what a vintage Mustang is NOT. LOL

The majority of Mustang builds are performance oriented, and mushy rides are the last thing wanted. It could be tough to match the ride you are desiring with a vintage Mustang.

Just being honest....

rack and pinion, and a coil over set up. I used "track or street" and i LOve it! Im still working on a good rear suspension.

I replaced every thing stock the first time around, springs, nice shocks, Roller spring perches, ball joints, bushings exe. It just wasn't good enough, The technology is 40 years old no matter how fresh it is.

my 2 cents

I replaced every thing stock the first time around, springs, nice shocks, Roller spring perches, ball joints, bushings exe. It just wasn't good enough, The technology is 40 years old no matter how fresh it is.

my 2 cents

Hahaha! Thats true. I did the same and even though everything is fresh, its still 40 years old.

ride quality is one reaon I'm getting ready to build a 69 Cougar now....LOL

one thing I can say for sure is that a set of roller spring perches from www.opentrackerracingproducts.com made a tremendous difference in the ride of my mustang which has high rate coil springs in the front and high rate 5 leaf springs out back... the stock rubber bushed spring perches are basically in a binding situation at all times not letting the spring and shock absorb the bumps in the road making for a harsher ride, the roller perches will actually allow the suspension to work the way it was designed to.

Ford originally used a similar design to the roller perch that had a bronze bushing on the early falcons and fairlanes but due to the fact that almost no one maintined them correctly and almost never greased them they decided to go with the rubber bushed perch and not have to deal with all the warranty claims. the rubber bushed perches were probably a good bit cheaper to make as well.

ride quality is one reaon I'm getting ready to build a 69 Cougar now....LOL

one thing I can say for sure is that a set of roller spring perches from www.opentrackerracingproducts.com made a tremendous difference in the ride of my mustang which has high rate coil springs in the front and high rate 5 leaf springs out back... the stock rubber bushed spring perches are basically in a binding situation at all times not letting the spring and shock absorb the bumps in the road making for a harsher ride, the roller perches will actually allow the suspension to work the way it was designed to.

Ford originally used a similar design to the roller perch that had a bronze bushing on the early falcons and fairlanes but due to the fact that almost no one maintined them correctly and almost never greased them they decided to go with the rubber bushed perch and not have to deal with all the warranty claims. the rubber bushed perches were probably a good bit cheaper to make as well.