Sign in to follow this  
1969 coupe

Any Machinist on here?

I ask for a lot of advice on here so I figure I might as well ask this. Looking for a change and was thinking of going back to college. Just wanted to know if any of you are machinist and what you think of it. Job outlook and salary ranges would be appreciated. You don't have to tell me what you make but I would like to know what to expect out of a machining tech diploma/certificate. Thanks

I am an ME but IF you really like that go for it, do what you enjoy IF you dont mind travelling for work. Plan to apprentice somewhere after and get in somewhere that has modern equipment and do what you can to learn CNC programming, laser programming, water jet, etc, etc.

If you are young, I believe trade skills will be in higher demand in years to come and higher pay as less and less people are doing it. On the other hand less and less companies need it so it may require relocation. The ones that are doing it are willing to train the right people. Sometimes its getting your foot in the door then just showing your skills, work ethics, dedication and getting that well deserved break, chance or recognition... nothing comes easy... though some just get lucky.

There are online salary range calculators based on location, experience and job title and responsibilities if you are interested in that. IMO I couldnt possibly recommend Rn to someone remotely interested in machining but hey thats what makes the world go round as they say.

Find what you like to do and be the best you can at it and you will be fine, machinist, fabricator, welder, what ever , if you like to do it and you can make yourself or someone else money at what you do than you will be able to work. The people who are the richest in the US are small buiseness owners, by far. Don't have to have a colledge degree, just be better at what ever the the rest, and people will find you. Fordrevhead has it right, you only can learn so much in school, some day you will go out and figure out what you haven't learned and a trade skill is somthing you can take anywhere. I have been a fabricator for 30 years, no schooling in it just learned as I worked and can make anything I set my mind to, can machine, weld , fab, design, engineer anything, and that can be used anywhere in the US. I firmly believe weather you work for your self or someone else if you are able to make someone money at what you do you will allways be working and won't have to rely on the government for 99 weeks to get your money.

I agree there is a high demand for Rn's and the medical field in general, but just not what interest me. Electrical field is a possibility though I don't have a clue about electronics, robotics, or automated equipment but I don't know anything much about my car either but willing to learn.

Rev do you consider 35 young? I don't really have the desire to be a machinist, but would like to have some type of trade/skill. There are manufacturing jobs in this area and see postings for machining type jobs all the time and at usually a decent wage. They usually require ability to read blueprints, CNC experience, and machining experience and so on. Just looking to have some options in this job market. I didn't realize how bad it was until I lost my job and realized I have very few skills to fall back on.

Edited by 1969 coupe

i'm the one that said Rn or electrician, i'm a retired tool die maker, u name it if've done it, i weld, use all kinds of machinery, crain operatror, press break operator, structual fitter, milling machines, kellers, CNC, theres alot of people out there with the same skills, people laid off, companys are not hiring, very few apprentice ships, its really hard to say what is best, lots of luck, jerry

I have been Tool & Die Maker/Machinist/Maintenance Mechanic/Millwright for 26 years. I also teach machining courses part time at a technical college. I love what I do and make a good living doing it. If you like working with your head and hands this is the trade for you. There are so many jobs you can do with a machining/welding background. There is a huge demand for skilled machinist in certain areas.

i'm the one that said Rn or electrician, i'm a retired tool die maker, u name it if've done it, i weld, use all kinds of machinery, crain operatror, press break operator, structual fitter, milling machines, kellers, CNC, theres alot of people out there with the same skills, people laid off, companys are not hiring, very few apprentice ships, its really hard to say what is best, lots of luck, jerry

Thanks and like I said earlier you are right about the Rn thing. I have a family member in that field and makes a very good living. Just trying to get some thoughts and opinions and it is appreciated.

Find what you like to do and be the best you can at it and you will be fine, machinist, fabricator, welder, what ever , if you like to do it and you can make yourself or someone else money at what you do than you will be able to work. The people who are the richest in the US are small buiseness owners, by far. Don't have to have a colledge degree, just be better at what ever the the rest, and people will find you. Fordrevhead has it right, you only can learn so much in school, some day you will go out and figure out what you haven't learned and a trade skill is somthing you can take anywhere. I have been a fabricator for 30 years, no schooling in it just learned as I worked and can make anything I set my mind to, can machine, weld , fab, design, engineer anything, and that can be used anywhere in the US. I firmly believe weather you work for your self or someone else if you are able to make someone money at what you do you will allways be working and won't have to rely on the government for 99 weeks to get your money.

I agree with you on most of this. Business owners usually make the money but they usually have some talented help. Not looking to get rich, just looking for something that I think I would enjoy doing and make a decent living at. I know skill is something you learn over time but getting the basic skills is at least a start and then they can be perfected with time. Times have changed and it's getting harder just to get in the door with companies unless you have the desired qualifications. It's not like it used to be when you actually went to the company and talked to somebody and had the opportunity to sell yourself in person. Now you have to do everything online and turn in a resume for any and every job. The person doing the hiring spends about 10 seconds looking at your resume and if you don't have everything they want it goes in the trash. Thanks for the input, it is appreciated.

Edited by 1969 coupe