Sign in to follow this  
snakebite500

Top Loader Question

A friend at work is helping his dad clean out his grandfathers barn and came across a top loader transmission. From the questions I asked, the shaft has 28 splines and he can see the letters RUG on a tag. Without seeing it, I would assume it's a wide ratio xmsn from 1965 to 1973. I have the opportunity to buy it but I don't want to over pay. What would this unit be worth if its in fair condition? He also came across a Hurst shifter and some linkage rods in a box that he would include with the xmsn.

RUG would only be part of the ID tag info. There is no joke about 30 different RUG numbers, but all have another character or two.... like RUG-A, or RUG-J2, etc.

Here is a web site with all the tag info. Just scroll down to the correct RUG tag number once you have all the info, and it will tell you exactly what you have...

http://www.5speeds.com/toploader.html#tag

Edited by Powershift

So here is the breakdown:

RUG-D2 / 1968 Fairlane, Falcon / 289, 302 wide ratio

Case - C8AR-7006-D / 1968 casting

Tailcone - C70R-7A040-A / 14" length housing for 28 & 31 spline

Used for 289, 302, 390. 428 from 1966 - 1969

Nothing rare about this xmsn, what do you think its worth as is?

I'm not sure, but I think the full size Ford trannys have to be modified to accept a Mustang shifter. Someone will correct me if I'm wrong. I see Mustang compatible toploaders going for $650 at swap meets and on Craigs List; other toploaders go in the $350-450 range. The 1970's overdrive versions fetch $150-250. Just my unscientific observations.