Sign in to follow this  
rmarks

Clutch Pedal Position

Just installed my top loader 4-speed in my car to replace the auto trans and I'm having a hard time to get my clutch pedal to line up with the brake pedal. First is it supposed to be...been awhile since I had a manual trans car, but I seem to remember it that way.

I did not install a set of new pedals as they were already in the car since it was originally a 4-speed.

The clutch is a new three finger type and I have played with the adjustment several times. I can get it where the pedal is low to the floor or a couple inches below the brake pedal. When I adjust further to get it up higher by the brake pedal, it gets to a certain spot and then the pedal pops/springs all the way up as if I reached down and pulled it up.

Is there supposed to be a stopper of some sort to keep the pedal from popping all the way up?

Any suggestions on how to align/adjust the pedal?

In my 1969 Mach 1 the clutch pedal sits up higher than the brake pedal. Without measuring I guess between 1 and 2 inches. There is a rubber bump stop that the clutch pedal contacts when all the way up. If yours is missing I have seen them in NPD's catalog. The clutch popping up is normal and is caused by the clutch assist spring. This spring is above the pedal under the dash. If you crawl under the dash you should be able to find it. This is a very strong short compression spring that is at maximum compression when the pedal is at about middle of its travel. So the pring 'toggles' if you will, through maximum compression when you press and release the clutch pedal.

Make sure the other two clutch return springs are also installed. There is one below connecting the bottom of the Z-bar to the clutch shift fork so the rod between these two cannot fall out. The other goes from the top of the z-bar to the firewall. There is a tab on the firewall in the area where the clutch rod passes through to attach the spring to. Again, I have also seen these in NPD's catalog. With all the right pieces it should work great.

As far as adjusting the clutch, with the pedal all the way up against its stop adjust the rod connecting the z-bar to the clutch fork so that there is about 1/8" free play in the clutch fork where the rod attaches to it. This free play prevents the throwout bearing from being in constant contact with the three fingers on the clutch.

Good Luck

Edited by 1969 Mach1

There is a hole in the pedal support that the bumper goes in. Location is pretty obvious when pedal is all the way up.

There is a generic 70-?? bumper and a concours correct '69 bumper. The '69 one is "red" and more expencive, but they are otherwise interchangable.

Doug

The factory configuration indeed has the clutch pedal higher than the brake pedal, roughly a inch.

The 69 pedal has the bumper on the pedal hanger. If you pull the clutch pedal all the way up till it contacts the clutch pedal, you'll see the pad with the hole for the bumper. On the 70, they moved the bumper to the pedal. Below is a pic of my 70 setup, and you can see the arm on the clutch pedal and the bumper

231_13_06_10_4_03_30_0.JPG

OK, thanks guys. I ordered a red bumper and will install on the pedal frame vs. the pedal. Interesting when I looked up there, there are the same size holes on the pedal itself and right above it on the frame.