Sign in to follow this  
prayers1

Need an Education on Power Steering

My Marti Report states that I my car came with Power Steering. I was under the impression that it doesn't since I see no cylinder, hose or PS pump. A member here said to check for the Zerk Nuts on the bottom of the frame to see if it did come with that option, well it does have the nuts. I thought then that there most of been something wrong in the past and the PO replaced the Steering Box. Tonight I got to looking at the numbers on that box SMB K 8F21B. I crossed referenced it and found that it is a 16:1 Ratio PS Box, Nice Surprise!! Because I was looking to change the Box to get PS.

Now, I was under the impression that if you have PS there would be hoses going to the PS box. I'm getting the feeling that thats not ture with my car.

Can someone set me straight. At this point I'm thinking that all I need now is some addition hardware to get PS. What is it?

Sorry for being too wordy, I had to explain my thoughts to relay my message.

69SteeringBox.jpg

My car is a factory non power steering car, but still has the rivet nut's on the bottom side of the frame where the PS cylinder bracket bolts too. Now all you need is the PS cylinder, the control valve for same, and the correct center link for PS. Oh, don't forget the correct pitman arm which is hard to come by. And of course the PS pump and brackets along with hoses. Boy, there is more to it that it seems huh? Bruce

I did notice on my Pitman Arm it has PS-102. I wonder if that is the PS Pitman Arm.

I was looking at a NPD book which has an exploded view. It looks like I need the center link that has the Control Valve on one end. How would I know if I still have the right Lower Control Arms and Idler.

I guess what I'm trying to say is if the PO took off the Center link / Control Valve. Did he also have to change the Lower Control Arms as well. Does PS & manual steering linkage go hand in hand?

Also, does it matter if the parts come from a Big Block car, will it fit on a small block?

Only thing that would be different between engine sizes (I6 / SB / BB) would be the power steering pump brackets and maybe the pump itself.

I've got a complete P.S. set up from a 1969 351W 2V Cougar that I parted out in the late 80's. All that is missing is the steering box, but since the box in your car is STILL the quicker ratio PS box you don't need it.

Whole system has been in a box in dry storage since.

However it was off of a car that sat along a garage in Chicago for a number of years prior ... would guess you definitely need to replace the 4 hoses (bare minimum), but it would be a good idea to send the cylinder & control valve out for rebuilding as well. Pump might be ok as-is and is the easiest part of the system to remove and service later if needed.

IMO ... the prior to 1971 Mustang Power Steering has got to be the worst system ever put on a car and is why my car still has MANUAL STEERING.

1. There are ugly hoses that you can see hanging down under the front of the car.

2. There is no steering feel (way over-assisted).

3. With all the hoses, there are a lot of leak points.

4. Pressure & return hoses move back & forth with steering linkage, fiber braid return hose gets stressed at either end of travel and needs to be watched carefully.

5. Having headers complicates it as the driver's side gets real close to pressure & return hoses & cylinder which shortens the life expectancy.

If you are still interested in what I've got let me know.

Doug

Edited by stangs-R-me

My experience with this system was on a '67 Fairlane 289 and I added headers.

I went through 2 sets of pressure & return hoses and always had leaks ... that is until I finally broke down and replaced both the cylinder & control valve and the control valve to cylinder hoses. At the same time I ditched the headers and got a set of repro 289 HI-PO Exh Manifolds and had a complete new dual exhaust system put on the car.

Finally I had a leak-free PS system ... and taught myself to avoid turning the wheel hard right or left to avoid stressing the return hose at the control valve. So good to go for a while, but certainly did not change the very un-sporty over-assisted feel of this style set up.

Prior to purchasing this Fairlane, I was debating on putting this system from the Cougar on my Mustang.

However after dealing with the Fairlane PS, I decided I don't drive the '69 enough to warrant all the effort & frustation of getting it right, especially on a car already equipped with Power Disc Brakes & Manual Transmission of which all the components are already packed tight enough on the driver's side of the engine compartment ... with stock exhaust manifolds (could not imagine headers too !!).

Plus it would have also taken away a big chunk of the sporty feeling that makes this '69 what it is.

Doug

First thing.... These are NOT power steering cars.

They have power assisted steering, there is a difference.

You have the correct box and most likely the right pitman arm as it could be used with the manual steering center link.

While it may not have been the best system ever built, It can work well if it has good parts and proper adjustments.

The hoses should be mounted up and do not have to hang down,

as for leaking any hose will if not installed correctly.

When replacing the hoses, most do not replace the flare cones inside the connecting points and it is possiable for it to seep later.

Properly installed pressure and return lines are not stressed or kinked.

It depends on type of headers installed would require the need of a rams drop bracket mount.

SO what your needing is the centerlink, control valve, assist ram with mount, hoses with mounting bracket, pump with mount to make it back to a power assist steering car.

Only thing of concern is the pump mounting brackets and pully size, they need to be for your size of engine.

Edited by Mach1Rider

Because this system is notorious for it's leaks (many of which are actually caused by user error btw, overtightening connections and splitting the end rather than connecting it straight to begin with) the conversion to manual is very common. For the 67-70 cars all you really need is one of these adapters to ditch the power steering so since you still have the PS box take a look for one of these: Mustang Parts from Mustangs Plus :: Steering :: Manual Steering Adapter :: 1967-70 Grab-A-Trak® Manual Steering Adapter. I wouldn't be surprised if a PO just removed the power valve and replaced with this then removed all the PS components.