Sign in to follow this  
BadDad5

1969 Coupe -Buyers Remorse

I bought this car from Tennesee and havn't even titled it yet. I'll start with the good stuff -all work done by the previous owner include new paint (it's an ok job I guess) new floor pans, new vinyl top, new carpet, new front and rear seat upholstery, has a nice black dash cap over orig dash, new headliner, bumpers, small trim etc..etc.

Now for the other goodies..It's a f-code 302/2v still with what the previous owner states is 49,000 orig mi. It runs excellent and purrs like a cat. It has been sprayed ford blue and has chrome valve covers. It also has power steering and power brakes, as well as being an AC car but those parts have been removed.

"Ok..what's the bad on it hombre?" you say...

Well, the front end needs work. As the car came off the transport the previous owner told the driver he had hit a chuck hole the night before loading. Guess one last joy ride? I can drive it around the block, but she leaches hard left, so I guess it would have to be trailered home. The mtr has a small leak at the rear main seal, and the power steering line has a small leak. At this point I'm really just pissed off about what was supposed to be my dream, and I just want to get out from under it. Just asking $7000.00, which is less than what I paid for it with transport.

I've tried to be as honest as possible about it so please check out the pics below and if you like what you see, maybe we can talk further. It's also on ebay if you want to see it there too...

Doesn't sound that bad. I know your happy bubble got popped but the rear main and power steering leaks aren't hard to do, not expensive. Just a weekends work. See if any suspension is bent/damaged, go get it aligned. If its the car you wanted keep it.

Agreed, doesn't sound too bad to me. Have the alingment checked out. They can do wonders nowadays. If that's not too bad (vs. entire front end needs rebuild and etc) then work on the other problems as time and money permits.:001_smile:

OMG, your giving up on it because of that EASY Crap?

Bud i just redid so much stuff on a friends fully restored car it was insane, new front end, removed dash, reran all the vac lines and some electrical, installed the factory ac, etc....im only charging the guy 1500.00 for all the work and he buys parts....Bud please dont get discouraged, were talking a power steering hose replacement, and a front end alignment....I have had brand new motors that leaked a tiny bit out of the rear main, some times its tough to get them to seal.

This is your dream car, keep the damn thing and just fix the little crap.

Mike

I actually think he is making the right choice here and likely there is more wrong with the car than listed. BadDad5 joined our forum back in July 2010 and only made one post prior to this one about converting the front and rear of his car over to Shelby parts, he also indicated that even though he is new to Mustangs he is no stranger to restoring cars.

So either he overpayed for a car that had numerous hidden issues and got sticker shock at the cost to repair or he does not want to work on cars anymore and simply wants a driver. In any case selling is probably the right move since this is and always will be a hobby and even a 100% restored car is still a 40 year old car and will occasionaly break down and will always need repairs or tinkering with and this has popped many a persons balloon of owning a classic car.

Hopefully who ever contemplates buying it will do a thorough inspection first and only pay what it's worth. I know if a car got delivered to me that was not in the condition for which I inspected and paid for and had been damaged the night before shipping I'd be chasing the original owner down for a refund or at least a rebate before moving on.

Edited by Pakrat

I bought this car from Tennesee and havn't even titled it yet. I'll start with the good stuff -all work done by the previous owner include new paint (it's an ok job I guess) new floor pans, new vinyl top, new carpet, new front and rear seat upholstery, has a nice black dash cap over orig dash, new headliner, bumpers, small trim etc..etc.

Now for the other goodies..It's a f-code 302/2v still with what the previous owner states is 49,000 orig mi. It runs excellent and purrs like a cat. It has been sprayed ford blue and has chrome valve covers. It also has power steering and power brakes, as well as being an AC car but those parts have been removed.

"Ok..what's the bad on it hombre?" you say...

Well, the front end needs work. As the car came off the transport the previous owner told the driver he had hit a chuck hole the night before loading. Guess one last joy ride? I can drive it around the block, but she leaches hard left, so I guess it would have to be trailered home. The mtr has a small leak at the rear main seal, and the power steering line has a small leak. At this point I'm really just pissed off about what was supposed to be my dream, and I just want to get out from under it. Just asking $7000.00, which is less than what I paid for it with transport.

I've tried to be as honest as possible about it so please check out the pics below and if you like what you see, maybe we can talk further. It's also on ebay if you want to see it there too...

Why didn't you try to get the original owner to fix his screw up?

I was looking at your posts & what you wanted to do; the finished car would look cool.