Sign in to follow this  
TexasEd

C-4 transmission leak

Background:

My brother put 4 quarts of fluid in the transmission before he shipped the car to me. It took 3 days to ship and then I parked it in the garage where it leaked about 1/2 a quart on the floor over the course of a week.

Looking under the car I can see the date 10-5-91 on the bottom of the transmission pan so I assume that was the date it was last worked on. The cork gasket looks a little brittle, but there was also fluid on the control lever. Could this be coming from someplace higher up?

I have not traced the fill/dipstick tube to the housing yet but I have heard that is another potential leak spot.

Questions:

- Anything else I should look for?

- How difficult would it be for a first timer to drop the pan, replace the filter, replace the gasket, replace the fill tube gasket, and get it all back together?

- I assume I need a torque wrench to properly torque the pan bolts. Any other special tools?

- Do I need to jack one end of the car up higher than the other for best results?

Thanks,

Ed

The seal where the shifter arm enters the body is a common leak area. It isn't the easiest to replace, as you have to drop the pan, filter, valve body, and then remove the shift arm IIRC and then remove and tap the new seal in. I'd definitely clean up the transmission and then start the car and check for leaks.

You don't have to use a torque wrench for the oil pan bolts, as using a nut driver to tighten them limits over-torquing them. I believe you may need a torque wrench for the valve body installation though.

Ford's don't leak. They mark their territory!

Anyway, you've buening have hit the usual leak areas that I've experienced. I'd drain the fluid, change the gaskets that may be the cause except for the pan gasket, then change the filter and put the pan back on. Fill it up and take it for a test drive and park it in the garage and put it back up on jack stands. The next day after it has cooled off, check for leaks and recheck the tightness of the bolts again.

Edited by jholmes217